New Stang

lil OH

Mar 21, 2010
Boston
Finally got some time to post some pics. This stang is bone stock but about to pull the trigger on an SLP LM2, JTL CAI and SCT Tune. Worth it? Going to put me back about $1k if I install the exhaust my self :shrug:

DSC02106.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Looks good. Are you buying the entire catback? There might be a few people here who are tired of me constantly saying this, but I an advocate for just welding mufflers into the stock catback. There really is no need for a new catback unless you want shiney new pipes (which no one will ever see), especially for $400+

Weld in some LM2's, get the JLT, and an SCT tuner and you'll only be in the hole for around $600 or so instead of $1K+

Thats just my .02 :shrug:

Quick question.. How do you weld in "bullet" style mufflers if the ones you have now are offset?

A good exhaust shop should have no problem getting straight-though mufflers to fit on an offset setup. Even if they have to fabricate a bit of tubing for it, it would absolutely minimal and still far cheap than the complete catback kits.

I had my flowpaths welded into my stock catback for $25. That on top of the $115 for the mufflers came out to $140 for everything.....compared to $399 for the MAC catback + install. Just seems like a lot of wasted money to me.

Heck, I just need to buy some nice polished tips for $60 or so and no one would ever be able to tell that I had the stock catback :shrug:

Looks good. Are you buying the entire catback? There might be a few people here who are tired of me constantly saying this, but I an advocate for just welding mufflers into the stock catback. There really is no need for a new catback unless you want shiney new pipes (which no one will ever see), especially for $400+

Weld in some LM2's, get the JLT, and an SCT tuner and you'll only be in the hole for around $600 or so instead of $1K+

Thats just my .02 :shrug:

Yeah, my magnaflows are welded in on my 03, and thats the same with my 98 (spintechs)

If u want shiney piping, clean the ones you have now. Thats what I do. Takes some time, but nothing a little degreaser and some wheel polish can do.

Looks great. The SCT tune and JLT CAI from American Muscle will be worth it. I say forget the catback and go with a mide pipe first seeing as that's the more restrictive part of the exhaust on these cars. Also 3.73 or 4.10 gears are a must have on these cars.

I second the weld in muffler or resonators vice getting all new piping. Easy on the wallet and can apply funds to other additions. IMO would can the JLT and instead drop an K&N filter for now and hit up an SCT tuner and 3:73 or 4:10 gears and a welded in muffler of choice. And if you could spare any cash left over take off those high heels on that girl and invest in some lowering springs.

Although I did it once, I wouldn't buy just the mufflers. I bought flowmasters and welded them into the stock catback. I eventually looked around and bought a used catback. It was half off the original price, and I didnt have to pay shipping since it was a local purchase.

I suggest a midpipe, gears, shifter, springs and tune. I would save up and get everything at once. It will feel like you went from a 6 banger to a true V8 with the changes in gearing, handling, and 10-20 hp you gain from the midpipe and tune.

Yeah, my magnaflows are welded in on my 03, and thats the same with my 98 (spintechs)

If u want shiney piping, clean the ones you have now. Thats what I do. Takes some time, but nothing a little degreaser and some wheel polish can do.

I like the shiny pipes and something bigger than the stock exhaust AKA straws coming out the back of my stang. Instead of just welding in mufflers, I looked around on eBay and found a used stainless Bassani catback for half the price of new. Not a fan of weld-ins but to each their own.

The hassle to find the right shop to weld in my mufflers isn't worth it. I have had some bad experiences in the past so its worth it to me to install the cat back my self. Didn't know the mid pipe was the most restrictive part of the exhaust...that has me thinking but it seems all the good mid pipes are O/R meaning won't pass inspection in MA.

I have read time and time again that gears make the biggest difference. I don't know anything about them but I might have to have my T/O bearing replaced so it makes sense to have this installed then. I'll have to look into this more and decide between 4.10 or 3.73. I wish I had another grand hanging around and I would do everything!

The hassle to find the right shop to weld in my mufflers isn't worth it. I have had some bad experiences in the past so its worth it to me to install the cat back my self. Didn't know the mid pipe was the most restrictive part of the exhaust...that has me thinking but it seems all the good mid pipes are O/R meaning won't pass inspection in MA.

I have read time and time again that gears make the biggest difference. I don't know anything about them but I might have to have my T/O bearing replaced so it makes sense to have this installed then. I'll have to look into this more and decide between 4.10 or 3.73. I wish I had another grand hanging around and I would do everything!

Your throw out bearing is more related to your clutch than your gears. As one is located near the tranny and the other in the rear. Its usually advisable to replace clutch and T/O at the same time but definetly not mandatory. On the flip side a tuner and gears go hand in hand. Especially if you want an accurate speedo readings after gear install. 3:73's are good medians between DD and weekend thriller. 4:10's is more of an aim towards full time thriller and not friendly to the wallet when it comes to the mpg. But its your call guy...good luck with your mods:nice: