New to mustangs what to look for?!

XDime01

Oct 8, 2006
I am looking to get a mustang I am looking for either a foxbody w/ a 5.0 or a 96+ with a 4.6. I have never owned a mustang, so I am posting on here to get some info on what problems they have. What should I look for? Any advice etc would be awesome.

• Sponsors (?)

if you get a 4.6 get a 96-98 cobra NOT a gt.. or a 99+ gt or cobra.

the 5.0's come in the middle in this, but faster considerably than the 96-98 npi setup.

I mean hell its a mustang you can make it fast, thats not the hard part. just get one you like and go from there..

Also what kind of MPG do 5.0's get with a 5 speed.

I get 25-26 right now with mine, its a gt40x head/typhoon intake, with the stock cam (for now) but it drives well and gets really good mileage.

the best I have gotten in a 5.0 was my 7up vert 5 speed, 27mpg, I put longtubes on it, full exhaust, a ported stock intake and all the bolt ons..

these things usually get better mileage once you get a good intake manifold on them and a free flowing exhaust, and a good cai or a k&n..

If funds permit then get a 96-98 Cobra. They can be had in good shape for $6000. I sold mine for a couple hundred more then that but she was really nice and made 299.8 rwhp and only had a cat back and H-pipe :nice:
Foxs are just fun cars though. I wouldnt get a Fox as a sole car though, they are getting old and will need attention regularly. Plus a Fox isnt the best thing in bad weather conditions and are a bit harsh IMO. 94-95 GTs are cheap and have alot of potential. Better handling and brakes then a Fox but they weigh alot more so that hurts the performance. 96-98 GTs are very civil but have crap heads and intake. They are cheap and easy to do a PI swap on though :shrug: Not knowing your budget its hard to say what would be best for you.
Is it gonna be a toy or a daily driver? What are your goals? What do you like?

My budget is around $6000-$7000 for the initial buy. But if I end up getting a fox obviously it will be lower and the rest will be spent on mods. The car will be a daily, I am selling my '01 Xtreme S10 w/a LS swap (well maybe selling). So fox stangs arent too reliable. I am also looking to make at least 450 to the rear.

My budget is around $6000-$7000 for the initial buy. But if I end up getting a fox obviously it will be lower and the rest will be spent on mods. The car will be a daily, I am selling my '01 Xtreme S10 w/a LS swap (well maybe selling). So fox stangs arent too reliable. I am also looking to make at least 450 to the rear.

The 3 fox Mustangs that I have had with 5.0L's were the best Mustangs I've had. They never let me down. Even the ones with almost 150K, never let me down. You gotta watch some of the 2V Mustangs...because the spark plugs blow out of the head...so get one with low mileage. :flag:

IDK where you live but that is 96-98 Cobra teritory :nice:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:727|65:12|39:1|240:1318
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:727|65:12|39:1|240:1318

for a reliable dd.
99+ gt etc.
0r 96+ cobra only

for hotrod/modder FOX FTW! i am only now becoming partial to 94+ body styles, i love them but man they are just played out in my age group! i heard two guys talking in calss about how to put on a offraod x-pipe, and cant cause the 02 sensors wont reach, so the other guy said you have to buy a tuner to turn off the 02 sensors??lol

so hey if you are mechanicaly inclined could be a great DD(i used my ol 91gt as a DD,but lets just say i wasnt driving it daily,but i owe that car alot of knowledge of cars/mustangs)

for a reliable dd.
99+ gt etc.
0r 96+ cobra only

for hotrod/modder FOX FTW! i am only now becoming partial to 94+ body styles, i love them but man they are just played out in my age group! i heard two guys talking in calss about how to put on a offraod x-pipe, and cant cause the 02 sensors wont reach, so the other guy said you have to buy a tuner to turn off the 02 sensors??lol

so hey if you are mechanicaly inclined could be a great DD(i used my ol 91gt as a DD,but lets just say i wasnt driving it daily,but i owe that car alot of knowledge of cars/mustangs)
All 96+ cars are like that. The O2 will reach just fine but will give a CEL. The puter looks for the second O2 to verify the front O2s are working. The car dosent use them for any running functions. The tuner just disables them in the program. Really though for any 96+ car you need a tune. Anything you do to it for performance gains the puter will just overide unless its been told to accept the mod. Welcome to the age of technology :shrug:
By the same token a tune will unleash just as much HP as a full exhaust system on a Fox or more :nice:

FOX FTMFW

The 3 fox Mustangs that I have had with 5.0L's were the best Mustangs I've had. They never let me down. Even the ones with almost 150K, never let me down. You gotta watch some of the 2V Mustangs...because the spark plugs blow out of the head...so get one with low mileage. :flag:

:rlaugh: wishtenessed this twice! although it doesnt help that all we use this car for is burnotus/dounts lol.

WHAT!!! you WILL post pics for this mang.. Thats awesome..