New to StangNet, and have problems with my car. Help much appreciated.

daR4V3N

Sep 24, 2006
So first and foremost, I would like to say hello, and really thank the lord that there are good mustang forums out there. :) :rolleyes:

Now for the ugly. I just did a head gasket job and replacing the heads on my 87 mustang GT. It ran fine. 100%. It sat in the garage for 2 hours. Fired it up to go back out, and it instantly started running rich. I'ts fine when it starts, its just, after that, 100% rich. Every sensor you can think of has been replaced or cleaned on the upper intake. Even went so far as to redo the timing, replace the fuel pressure regulator, and lots of lost sleep and confusion over this.

It's also cost me a new battery. *shakes head*
It runs, barily. And puts out tons upon tons of gas vapor out the tailpipes. I don't know whats wrong with it. I can't think of anything else it COULD be. Any ideas?

Its 11:20 PM and I have to go to work tomorrow by 5 PM.. Things arent looking so hot right now. ANY help would be appreciated, as I am up aginst the brick wall. :bang: Many many thanks in advance.

Note: The car does NOT have maf.

• Sponsors (?)

The vac line WAS hooked up. It is not now.. Havent actually gone code searching.. I don't really know how to get it accomplished.. Not interested in purchasing a scanner tool for this mess. Any ideas on how to build a home version?

HISSIN50 said:
Welcome!

Is the vac line to the MAP sensor hooked up?

Any codes?

Good luck.

Um, on a SD motor, if the MAP sensor is not hooked the a manifold vac source, it should run stinky-rich and like poop.

You can use a test light to pull codes. These EFI systems are involved enough that it's wise to let the computer try to tell you what's wrong rather than testing every system manually.

Otherwise a code scanner won't do much good on an aero fox - a code reader is useful for codes but does nothing more than the test light will.

Good luck.

Well, ill find out shortly then :)

HISSIN50 said:
Um, on a SD motor, if the MAP sensor is not hooked the a manifold vac source, it should run stinky-rich and like poop.

You can use a test light to pull codes. These EFI systems are involved enough that it's wise to let the computer try to tell you what's wrong rather than testing every system manually.

Otherwise a code scanner won't do much good on an aero fox - a code reader is useful for codes but does nothing more than the test light will.

Good luck.

Oh, here is other bits of info: Pulled the plugs to verify gap yesterday. Crazy amounts of carbon were on them. As well as if you try to drive it, its very lossy. Still related to MAP?

Tried the method on that site. Nothing. The test light is known good. It does NOTHING.

ECU = Bad? :|

vristang said:
Welcome to the stang community!

I just added a link in my sig for pulling codes without a scanner.

It should help you out.

Good Luck,
jason

Just to double check, I pulled the ground off the car. Gonna wait about 30 minutes, then go back, and verify the info. Also am going to re-clean the conctacts in the testing areas just to make sure this is the case.

Give us a run down of exactly it is doing. As I read you, the engine will not even turn over unless the throttle is open, which means the battery is weak or there's a primary electrical issue.

Jumping around with diagnostics will make you crazy. See JRichker's cranks but wont start checklist to systematically diagnose the systems [once you charge the battery up].

Good luck.