New to the 4.6 world. Could use some advice.

daddystang

Aug 13, 2006
Guys, I'm usually over on the 5.0 boards, but my father has been wanting a Mustang his whole life. Well he's going to look at a 2002 GT for $6500 this weekend, and asked me to come along to crawl underneath it for him. The car is an automatic with approx. 92,000 miles on it with a cold air intake, and catback exhaust. Other than that he says it's untouched. My question is. Is there anything specific I should look for in the way of leaks, or noises etc... that are maybe "prone" to the 4.6L. The carfax report says the car had some minor front end damage when the car slid off the road and struck a sign post. So I'll be looking at the body work very closely. Like I say I'm use to the 5.0's so any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated so I can help make my dad's first mustang purchase a good one.
Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Look for all obvious leaks---trans pan and lines, leaky rear seal, steering rack, power steering pump. The same basic stuff that youd look for on any car. Nothing to terrible. Make sure it shifts right and that the minor damage was fixed correctly. Seems like a great price if everything checks out ok.

one thing that i would look at for sure especially with the miles is the spark plugs. me and a couple of friends have encountered the spark plugs shooting out of the heads. they way i would look for it is start the car and let it idle. put your ear over the boots and if you can hear a ticking noise then i would check the plugs for sure