no high speed wipers

tording

Founding Member
Nov 11, 2000
Hampton, VA
I have a 92 LX and when I switch the windshield wipers from low to high they get no faster almost like the high speed is not working. I am guessing it is the motor but does anyone know a way I can test this? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know about testing them, but I have had the same problem, also a friend has. He replaced his and mine I think was a short or something because it would go slow no matter what. I played around with the wiring and didn't do much, so I think it was something internal like the motor being put out. I fixed it temporarily by thinking what the hell, and hit it with a crescent wrench, worst thing I could do is replace it, sure enough that worked :)

I don't know about testing them, but I have had the same problem, also a friend has. He replaced his and mine I think was a short or something because it would go slow no matter what. I played around with the wiring and didn't do much, so I think it was something internal like the motor being put out. I fixed it temporarily by thinking what the hell, and hit it with a crescent wrench, worst thing I could do is replace it, sure enough that worked :)

You said your friend replaced his?? His motor I am guessing right? I think thats what I am going to try.

Look for power on the high speed wire on the wiper motor - dark brown/orange according to the diagram. No 12 volts with the switch in the high position & ignition swich in the run position and you have a bad switch. If there is 12 volts, then the motor is bad.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Windshield wiper wiring.GIF
    Windshield wiper wiring.GIF
    19.4 KB · Views: 6,092
Tording

I had a problem similar to what you are describing. No high speed but also no intermitant wipers either. It turns out that the intermittant governor had gone bad in my 88. It is a gray box mounted under the dash by the steering column. I couldn't find a new one so I had to go to the JY to get one. Good luck.