Fox nuetral gear ( Safety ) switch----- wires missing

darryl paarman

Aug 13, 2013
ft bragg nc
My new to me 93 LX Coupe has another issue that needs to be resolved. When I step on the clutch--- the rpm's drop.
I looked for the wires for the neutral Gear ( safety ) switch. I can't find them.
I located the switch on the drivers side front of transmission. the connector is hanging from it.
Can anyone tell me where the wires come from ?????
do they come from behind the engine ?
what do they look like ?

• Sponsors (?)

They come from the trans harness that also contains the harness plug for the speed sensor, and the reverse lights.

Only the 5spd cars will have it. AOD cars wont have that pigtail. Any chance your car was a 5spd swap? You can check the door tag. 5pd cars will say "2" under the TR category, while AOD will have a "T"

You can add the harness, but you'll want to check the computer code first to see wat it is

Reactions: 1 user
AOD harness on top, 5spd on bottom. This transmission harness runs from drivers kick panel to a hole in trans tunnel on left side. You can see the grommet, and then it branches off to three connections

The connections are the reversed lights, the speed sensor, and the NsS. The AOD harness above lacks the the NSS

Get under the car, find the grommet on the drivers side of trans tunnel where the wires poke though and you can ID your three harnesses

IMG_8586.JPG

that picture was very helpful. I have the one on top ( the AOD Harness ) So The pigtail I need is missing.
The drivers door has been replaced- so the info on that is not useful.
Can I tell by the vin # if this was a original 5 speed car ?
Is there anything that I can do to correct this other than replace the harness?
I have a mega squirt PNP 2 . Not the original ECM.

that picture was very helpful. I have the one on top ( the AOD Harness ) So The pigtail I need is missing.
The drivers door has been replaced- so the info on that is not useful.
Can I tell by the vin # if this was a original 5 speed car ?
Is there anything that I can do to correct this other than replace the harness?
I have a mega squirt PNP 2 . Not the original ECM.

You just need to swap the harness. It passes through the trans tunnel, runs under the drivers seat and hooks up in the drivers kick panel by your left foot.

Vin won't tell you transmission, only door sticker will. You could run a marti report on the vin but not worth it for $45. Best way to tell is pull up shifter boot bezel and look at inner boot and how it's mounted. 5spd cars have a raised mounting platform with four factory stamped cut outs for screws. AOD cars don't have this so they are frequently Mickey moused into place and hidden under the boot.

Just swap the harness. Takes 10 mins after removing driver seat. I did it on my own car as it's an AOD to 5spd swap.

I recieved the harness from LMR. .disconnected the battery. I Removed 4 bolts from the driver's seat. 15mm. 2 under the front edge and 2 under the back.
20180707_151628.jpg

15309907793702829217626524936894.jpg

4 screws from the carpet plastic trim by the door sill.

Remove the front kick plate panel from the drivers side foot rest pedal.

I removed the drivers seat belt bottom bracket with a T45 star bit.

I also removed the rear seat bottom by pushing on the bottom of the seat toward the rear and then lifting up.

I removed 1 screws from the left lower panel to ease the carpet out from under it.

Attachments

• 15309908394343528185106375037482.jpg
    15309908394343528185106375037482.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 80