odyssey pc 680 didnt make it through winter

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
well i know for sure now. the battery was installed april of last year. was running the car fine until nov. of last year right before i put the car away for winter. right before i put it away, one day i started the car after about a week. all the needles on dash went over to the right. i figured it was just low on charge.

i decided to give it a chance. went and got a battery tender for when i put it away for winter. unhooked battery from car and hooked it to the tender.

i started car up for first time the other day. it started great and ran real strong. man i missed it. only took it out one day.

car sat for six days un connected from the tender. today i went to start it just to keep the battery alive (i did this often) and all the needles went to the right again.

car started but the computer keeps resetting. i think the battery is dead.

what do you guys think? is it worth trying another for 70 bucks or should i just throw the stocker back in?

i was just for weight loss ( the stocker is heavier then you might think) but looks real cool in the bracket i have it mounted up in.

anyone elses pc680 make it throught the winter?

• Sponsors (?)

Thats the reason why i never bought one of those...I was afraid it would not last after a few cycles. With my optima i just take it out, charge it then put it on the shelf. They can sit for a year like that and lose minimal charge.

well ofcourse the company swears that it has a two year shelf life if it is fully charged. i dont know. i think i will have to go back to the heavy ass stocker and find other ways to lose weight. really like the look of it though. :(

it was fun at shows too. people would think i had another battery hidding somewhere. they couldnt believe the car was running on that.

now i have to scrounge for other weight savings. i hate to go backward in performance even if it is a little bit.

i guess i could do the aluminum d/s to make up for it, but i just got my exhause lined up perfectly. hate to have to drop it again for the d/s:shrug:

well i figured id throw in the stocker and see how that went. i still have it.

wow do you think the stocker will need to be charged ? its been sitting for about a year. i just always thought the stockers lasted a long time.

Shiroelex said:
Isn't that battery for motorcycles?

From what I see, that battery only has 300ca (220cca), while my current battery has 810ca(650cca).
Just seems too weak to me.
yeah in auto use they are meant for race cars...not really a good battery for a semi daily driven nice weather car.

I would not run an odyssey in a daily. I have a friend that build sand buggies. he runs them because weight is such an issue as a selling point.

I just don't like the reliablity of the starts on them if they sit. optima's are heavier but I have had way better luck reliability wise with them opposed to the odyssey.

I like to keep my daily rock solid realiable and IMO they just are not. optima's on the other hand I have ran my battery completely dead with the stereo on. let is sit for a couple hours and had if fire right back up.

thanks guys. yea this battery is just not strong enough. im going back to the stocker. i will find other places to save weight. what do the optimas weigh? is there a problem with them in cold weather freezing? my buddy had one in a z 28 and said it turned into a block of ice. he threw it away.:shrug:

Try the Odyssey PC925MJT, it has a higher capacity for use in automobiles. With a metal jacket and brass SAE terminals this battery weights 25# 3.4oz.

The PC680 is designed for motorcycles, ATV's, snowmobiles and personal watercraft, none of which will see A/C, radios, CD players, heaters, power windows, etc.

My battery sat for 19 months from Feb. 04 to Sept. 05 and started my engine the first time it was connected, no problems.

Well here is my thought. If the battery has enough juice to turn the car over, and run the high energy ignition system, shouldnt it have enough juice to be able to hold a computer program?

A computuer program should stay, even without a battery altogether.

A battery also acts as a type of power filter as well, and I would think that if it were too small, then something negative could happen as well, in addition to the fact of not being able to provide enough cranking amperage in cold weather. Not to mention, you can forget hooking up any type of aftermarket anything that requires juice (amplifiers, etc). I would also assume that, if it took all that that little battery had to turn the car over at full charge, that it would get weak fast, and put an extra strain on the alternator. That's just my speculation, though. I've tortured my alternator, and it's still smiling.