Off-road X-pipe question

Parks07

Sep 4, 2006
I have a MAC off road x-pipe in transit. I also have ordered a SCT tuner with a tune for it. I'll receive the pipe before the tuner, I know I'll throw a code, bt would it be ok to drive the car around a couple of days without a tune for the x-pipe.

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

if you dont have a tuner, MIL eliminators are required. you can erase the code by disconnecting the battery, but it will come back without a tune/ MIL eliminators.

I don't know if this helps but I installed a MAC Axleback and the MAC Offroad Prochamber last friday and I think it sounds great. I also haven't noticed any loss of power...If anything it seems like I might have gained a little. My SCT/brenspeed tune w/CIA should be here this friday the 8th so I only have to go a week with my check engine light on.

adamb258 said:
you won tlose power or sounds any different ive had 3 mustangs all of whcih ran for a month or two before i turned off my cel.

Well that's great, for you. I'm just trying to give good advice. I have an '05. I put on an o/r x-pipe. And maybe I have a better butt dyno than you, but mine ran like crap, and sounded like crap. So either you've never put an o/r pipe on an '05, or it was the fact that I don't have any restriction, but either way, I'm just offering my opinion from my own personal experience in almost the exact same situation.

I installed the x-pipe last week without a tune. It actually took a couple of days before it threw a code. The car is tuned now and of course the care runs better, but the sound is not different. How would a tune affect the way an x-pipe sounds?

Parks07 said:
I installed the x-pipe last week without a tune. It actually took a couple of days before it threw a code. The car is tuned now and of course the care runs better, but the sound is not different. How would a tune affect the way an x-pipe sounds?

Depending on what exhaust/intake setup you got, if the tune is not right, the cel can come on. I'm not a tech, so I don't know how it can change the sound. I just know the experience I had. I would clear the CEL, and the sound would be fine. CEL would come back, and it would sound like crap. Now that I remember right, my problem was with the bank 1 front 02 sensor, which wouldn't be affected by the XPipe, it just happened at the same time. My point is that a tune can affect that. But glad everything worked out for you.

DarkFireGT said:
Depending on what exhaust/intake setup you got, if the tune is not right, the cel can come on. I'm not a tech, so I don't know how it can change the sound. I just know the experience I had. I would clear the CEL, and the sound would be fine. CEL would come back, and it would sound like crap. Now that I remember right, my problem was with the bank 1 front 02 sensor, which wouldn't be affected by the XPipe, it just happened at the same time. My point is that a tune can affect that. But glad everything worked out for you.

So now what exactly was the error code for your bank 1 front O2 sensor? What all was it messing up? was there not enough heat for it to work properly?

The wire wasn't long enough, and it was too late to splice some more in when I installed the xpipe, so I had to drive around a few days without it plugged in. That was the problem. I had forgotten all about it until last night.

DarkFireGT said:
I'm not a tech, so I don't know how it can change the sound. I just know the experience I had. I would clear the CEL, and the sound would be fine. CEL would come back, and it would sound like crap.
What do you mean sound like crap???? Do you mean run rough or the tone or pitch would change???? There is no way a tune can "change" the sound of a exhaust. I noticed you said this in a few threads and just wondered how a tune can do that.:shrug:

Again, as I said, it turned out to be the car going into safemode b/c the cel was on b/c of the o2 sensor, and not really because of the tune. but yes, it ran like crap and the tone was completely different. doesn't matter. his worked fine and that's all that matters.

I also have an o/r X with no tune, the engine light will come on after a day or so. I did't notice any loss of performance until I took it to the track and ran about a second slower in the 1/4. Anyway what are Mils?