oil consumption HELP

68GEETEE

5 Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Texas, USA
my engine is a 1968 302 4bbl with '70 heads. The block is bored .020 not sure how long ago it was done or how good a job they did. I had the heads rebuilt 1500 miles ago. The car is driven only on weekends approx 40 miles. I will use a quart of oil in a 300 to 500 mile span. There are no leaks at all. The engine blows blue smoke when first started, it disappears after 15-20 seconds. Last week I discovered there is a air leak at the intake manifold passenger side. Where is the oil going and why?

• Sponsors (?)

68GEETEE said:
my engine is a 1968 302 4bbl with '70 heads. The block is bored .020 not sure how long ago it was done or how good a job they did. I had the heads rebuilt 1500 miles ago. The car is driven only on weekends approx 40 miles. I will use a quart of oil in a 300 to 500 mile span. There are no leaks at all. The engine blows blue smoke when first started, it disappears after 15-20 seconds. Last week I discovered there is a air leak at the intake manifold passenger side. Where is the oil going and why?

Not sure if this works, but try doing a compression test. If it's too low, it could be a sign of your rings not sealing. :shrug: Just a though. It is also a possiably that your intake gaskets could be bad. Another is that the seals around your valves are bad, and are allowing oil to leak down and past them.

-Shaun

I will assume the heads were done right with out cutting corners , like new guides and correct valve seals. bad seals or guides will cause a smoke when started complaint. First check that the PCV valve is working correct, not stuck open or your oil will be sucked into the intake and make shore the valve cover has a baffle on the inside just below the PCV hole to prevent oil spash. If it didnt smoke before you redone the heads then I would look at the intake might be on wrong, dont use the end gaskets as they will push out or in when torqued, use a bead of sealer about a 1/4 high and let it set just untill it skins over the put the intake on. If the intake gaskets sliped or leaks the oil will be sucked in through the intake runners and make shore the intake isnt cracked. If it still smokes after you checked all of this, sorry to say that its probably the rings. sorry for the long reply.