Oil in Coolant

Coolant in Oil

I did do I search but I couldn't find a definite answer.

I have a lot of coolant in the oil and the car will not idle without a little throttle. It's also blowing white smoke out the tailpipes. Initially I thought blown HG but now I'm leaning towards lower intake gasket, since I just had the lower intake off (didn't touch the heads). Is there any way to tell whether it's a HG or the lower intake gasket before taking it apart? I just got the car back from a dyno tune and only drove it 15 minutes straight home, no WOT.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to do a leak down test, but I just did a compression test all cylinders were between 150 and 155. I know this isn't a very accurate test but it's the best I can do.

I really think it's just the lower intake gasket. Can you guys confirm that a bad lower intake gasket would cause all of the following....

1. Coolant in Oil (only checked the oil seperator so far)
2. Smoke out tailpipes
3. Doesn't idle

I really don't want to replace the lower intake gasket, put it back together, just to find out it really was the HG.

Thanks

I would put my hard-earned money on that lower intake gasket, here's why:

1) Coolant in oil---leaks past the intake gasket into the lifter valley, to the oil pan.
2) "Smoke" out of tailpipes---white "smoke"=steam=coolant in combustion chamber. Coolant pulled into intake tract/combustion chamber via vacuum.
3) Doesn't idle---vacuum leak from atmosphere.

All those, plus you mentioned that you had just monkeyed around with it. As was mentioned in above posts, use some substance to spray along the length of the "lower" gasket. (I'd use carb cleaner or even WD-40, not soap and water.) Chances are good that the engine will rev a little when the affected area is reached.

Outside of an intake gasket, I would say that maybe the intake manifold is cracked. That is not likely though, as it was apparently running fine before. Let us know the result.

A long shot here I know but ..............

When you put the lower back on

Did you run the bolts enough times to obtain even torque

Sometimes ... it takes 5, 6 or even 7 times to get even tightness
and then
After a couple of heat cycles ... you need to run em again
cause
You WILL find a few that need a bit more of a twist :eek:

Again ... just a shot in the dark :D

Grady