Oil Pan Gasket/ timing Chain

dropteeth

Apr 25, 2022
Ottawa
Hi Guys,

i am goin going to be doing a cam/timing chain following by oil pan gasket...i have a few questions:

1) what order should i do these in? i have a one piece gasket for the oil pan as i am doing this with engine in and engine raised 5 inches off mounts...

2) woulld you replace the oil pump/ pick up tube even though your having no issues but while you in there type thing?

thanks in advace!

• Sponsors (?)

If your pan and the pickup tube are like new clean, I would reuse the pickup tube , but a new oil pump and a new heavy duty oil pump shaft would not hurt... Stock oil pump, NO high volume or high pressure.....

Last edited:
Drop oil pan, pull timing chain cover, do the chain, replace cover, inspect and clean pickup tube, depending on what's in the pan if it's gunked up with gunk in the tube and screen change the pump and shaft, if clean I'd send it.
Do not over tighten the pan bolts. 6-9 lb-ft.
The timing cover has two dowel pins to fit on, it's difficult to fit the cover on the pins if the oil pan is installed first.

Drop oil pan, pull timing chain cover, do the chain, replace cover, inspect and clean pickup tube, depending on what's in the pan if it's gunked up with gunk in the tube and screen change the pump and shaft, if clean I'd send it.
Do not over tighten the pan bolts. 6-9 lb-ft.
The timing cover has two dowel pins to fit on, it's difficult to fit the cover on the pins if the oil pan is installed first.
Thanks so much!

Reactions: 1 user