Engine Clearance Issues Between Main Cap and Oil Pump in 347 Stroker Engine, Previous Pump Damage

Swhitney

Feb 11, 2019
Oregon City
I've encountered a challenge with my 347 stroker engine's oil pump, as there is minimal clearance between the main cap and the pump. Initially, I attributed it to the high-volume pump being thicker, but even the original pump faces the same issue. To add to the concern, the main cap hit the old oil pump, causing it to snap in half. I am certain that this would happen again if I were to put it back together. I'm curious to know how others are handling this situation, especially when the main girdle is installed.

IMG_2421.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

you want 0.050” of clearance minimum is what I was told when I had to clearance the oil pump for my 331 with a girdle. There is a lot of material on the pump in that area. Take it slow and only remove what you need to.

Be careful... Not all the pumps are shaped the exact same..... I bought my 347 used and decided to swaps oil pumps, just for piece of mind.... Got the new pump and realized I had to clearance it, no big deal. Next thing I know there's a hole in the housing and it still hits...
I ended up checking out the existing oil pump and just reusing it after I was satisfied with the tolerances

Here's how the existing pump is clearanced, I don't have a pic of the other pump, but it was visibly different

Attachments

• PXL_20230409_152308983.jpg
    PXL_20230409_152308983.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 20