OIL PRESSURE GAUGE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

StangMaster8907

Mar 8, 2006
i have recently bought a used 1996 Mustang GT. the previous owner took out the clock and added a 2 pod dome. it had endine temp and oil pressure. he hooked up the engine temp and partly hooked up the oil pressure one. the ground and ignition wires were hooked up but not the oil sender. i unhooked everything. i then whent to the cluster harness, i cut the 3 wires from the harness and hooked them to the aftermarket gauge. i turned the car on and it shot right to 100 psi and wont move. the new gauge is an electronic gauge. what am i doing wrong? please help me i am getting very frusterated.

• Sponsors (?)

you shouldnt have hooked it to the factory harness. if its electric, you only needed to run a ground and power wire off the sending unit it is supplied with.

disconnect it from the cluster, install the sending unit it came with, then run a power/ground wire off the gauge.

You cant use the stock sender to give the aftermarket gauge readings. The aftermarket gauge has its own sender. You can get it from autometer's website. You use NPT fittings to tee off the stock sender

thanks like i said i got the gauge from the guy i bought the car from without an aftermarket sending unit so i will need to buy one. is there a special wire for the sending wire i need? and for the power wire, where would i hook that up to? and where is the oil sending unit located on the enigne. thanks for the help guys

StangMaster8907 said:
thanks like i said i got the gauge from the guy i bought the car from without an aftermarket sending unit so i will need to buy one. is there a special wire for the sending wire i need? and for the power wire, where would i hook that up to? and where is the oil sending unit located on the enigne. thanks for the help guys

auto meter has instructions for wiring up any gauge up for download on there website.