oil problem???

seekjohn

Apr 7, 2004
Ontario Canada
i did an oil change on my 99 v6 in my driveway and i put in 4.7 litres of mobil 1 along with a fram double guard oil filter. when i started the car and levelled it out on a flat surface, the oil read as barely on the dipstick. i ended up adding at least a litre to it, just to get it 3/4 of the way up the stick. anyone know why so much oil read so low on the dipstick

• Sponsors (?)

Well I don't work in liters (I wish I did, metric is much better), but I know the V6 Mustang takes 5 quarts of oil, which means 4.7 liters should have been plenty. (Don't want to overfill). I really have no idea :shrug:, but I think it may be a bad thing that you put another liter.

so extra milage cars have larger oil pans? hum.... lol

i have read that someone seen that the v6 takes 5.5 quarts of oil. I alwasy put 5 quarts and it reads just fine, same with what ford puts in it 5 quarts. I also use mobil 1, just buy 5 quarts and poor it in adn be done with it. I would also just use a ford filter those fram are supposed to be POS.

SpectorV said:
so extra milage cars have larger oil pans? hum.... lol

i have read that someone seen that the v6 takes 5.5 quarts of oil. I alwasy put 5 quarts and it reads just fine, same with what ford puts in it 5 quarts. I also use mobil 1, just buy 5 quarts and poor it in adn be done with it. I would also just use a ford filter those fram are supposed to be POS.

5.5 is the full capacity but you don't really want to fill it all the way.

just because it has wear and tear in no way means it takes more than 5 quarts to fill it up.... thats just stupid, it might need a thicker oil, or use oil but the oil pan does not get bigger when the car gets higher miles.....

SpectorV said:
just because it has wear and tear in no way means it takes more than 5 quarts to fill it up.... thats just stupid, it might need a thicker oil, or use oil but the oil pan does not get bigger when the car gets higher miles.....

nicely put. Thats hilarious... lol. I've got 90k on mine, maybe i can fit 6 quarts in now.... lol On a higher mileage vehicle, you may need to add oil frequently, but you should NEVER have to put extra in when your doing an oil change, every few weeks u made need some but yea, not when u change the oil.