Oil Pump Driveshaft Install! Confused and need help fast!

latham83

Jul 24, 2003
Ok i have a 1990 5.0 and i read a couple threads on here about the oil pump shaft install and it still has me confsued..they are talking about some kind of clip!? Im putting on a new oil pump and i have my NEW 306 block turned UPSIDE DOWN on the stand...so now u have a picture...
MY SHAFT on one end has more of a pointy end to it than the other...
and closest to that end...probably about 1 or 2 inches from that end...is not what i call i clip..it seems to be PERMANENTLY on the shaft..its some kind of stop and it like flares out on all ends..anyone know what im talking about? it dosent move...and then on the other end of my shaft it is flat on the end...not pointy like the other end....and its hex all the way through..now can someone tell me if this is clip they are talking about or what? it doesnt move..
whta i need to know is how the hell this thing drops in ..which way and such...and how to tell if everythigns positioned properly? the chilton manual is always confusing man...thansk guys

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, that is more or less the clip they are refering too.

Because yours is not removable, you must install it in the block and oil pump before you bolt the pump down to the block. Just put it through the hole so the pointy esnd (clip end) is up - facing the distributor hole. Then put the other end in the pump and bolt it up.

Hope this helps

hey thanks...does EVERYONE recommend that i buy a ford racing oil pump driveshaft??
every thread i read says that the stock ones snap over time and twist?? mine has 165,000 miles on it and looks fine?? but i am installing a NEW standard volume oil pump on a new dss 306 and i mean going to have alot of mods and HP....would the ford racing shaft be a good choice?? i had no idea this happens...i woudl of just installed the stock one

Yeah. A new pump drive shaft is a good idea. I got an ARP from jegs for $15-$16 and its a lot beefier than the stock shaft that came with my FMS high volume pump.

With a standard oil pump the stock shaft is fine, yes they do twist and break....when the pump locks up!!!! with the upgraded shaft something is still going to give in the case of an oil pump lockup, rather it be the shaft than my distributor or cam gear

No one has mentioned this yet..

DO NOT FORGET TO CHECK THE CLEARANCES OF THE SHAFT TO THE DIST AND SHAFT TO PUMP.

I also like the FMS shafts, nice pieces and they are recessed fartehr then a ARP so you will not have major issues if you go to a MSD dist.

SwAmPf0x said:
With a standard oil pump the stock shaft is fine, yes they do twist and break....when the pump locks up!!!! with the upgraded shaft something is still going to give in the case of an oil pump lockup, rather it be the shaft than my distributor or cam gear

I was told the same thing. If my new melling standard volume pump locked up for some horrible reason, I rather the shaft break then my new cam or distributer. So I am sticking with my stock shaft.

And really..... how ofter do you hear about a oil drive shaft breaking in a street performance car? I can understand if it was a race car.