Okay guys, need info on Viper fan to go with DCC Controller.

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Well I'm really liking the flow ratings of the viper fan (#04854720AA) at 4,000cfm. The price is a nice price as well at around $150 or so.

What is the website for PDI who sells the Viper fan?

I'm wiring retarted. Can I use the DCC controller with the Viper fan?

I don't want my car overdrawn by this fan? Is that what the DCC controller will do for me? I'm going to get a slightly bigger battery to hopefully help out. What else could I do? Put on my overdriven pulley for my 3g alternator. Don't I need two 4g wires running from my alternator. I have one from my solenoid to the alt. Isn't there one more supposed to be somewhere?

This would be going on a 31x19 Griffin radiator. It is rather thick.

I'm more concerned with me not being able to wire it up and it being to much for just a 340hp engine? What do you guys think?

Here is some pics of the Viper fan:

http://www.geocities.com/skiboyracing/viperfan.html

• Sponsors (?)

I used the 35 amp controler... which should work fine though I do wish i got the 65 to be sure. I picked up the fan for about 180 through a friend that works at a body shop but i think the going rate is about 200. It's a really efficient fan for how much cfm it pulls and for how thin it is. I cut off the original 3 wire connector(you only need 2 of them) and used blade connectors(supplied with the dc controler) and taped them up good. I think it is the middle one which isnt used(black w/red stripe) the two fatter(10ga.) wire are the high hot(black w/yellow stripe) and ground. You will need a spacer because the fan center does protrude past the shroud. I went to OSH and picked up some aluminum 1 inch flat(for the top) and 1 1/2 inch flat(for the bottom) and some 1/4 inch aluminum triming i believe. This was enough for me to mount it to the edge of my griffin... filled it up nicely too. This leaves about 1/4 inch... maybe a little less... to your water pump pulley bolts with the 3 inch radiator. There is a bit of fabrication to get this thing mounted right so its probably the least easy fan to mount out there. As for an overflow, I bought the canton one made for the foxes and bolted it directly to the shround using some washers and a little trimming. For the price and ammount of work involved... I honestly suggest a dual 11 inch spal setup if you are looking for something really good that you can just pop on.
Kevin

5spd GT said:
Well I'm really liking the flow ratings of the viper fan (#04854720AA) at 4,000cfm. The price is a nice price as well at around $150 or so.

What is the website for PDI who sells the Viper fan?

I'm wiring retarted. Can I use the DCC controller with the Viper fan?

I don't want my car overdrawn by this fan? Is that what the DCC controller will do for me? I'm going to get a slightly bigger battery to hopefully help out. What else could I do? Put on my overdriven pulley for my 3g alternator. Don't I need two 4g wires running from my alternator. I have one from my solenoid to the alt. Isn't there one more supposed to be somewhere?

This would be going on a 31x19 Griffin radiator. It is rather thick.

I'm more concerned with me not being able to wire it up and it being to much for just a 340hp engine? What do you guys think?

Here is some pics of the Viper fan:

http://www.geocities.com/skiboyracing/viperfan.html

You shouldn't have any alternator/battery related problems so long as you run the DCC.. as I'm sure you know, it gradually engages the fan, so you won't have the horrible spikes non dcc-users have. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the DCC unit not being suited for that. I believe the higher model (I want to say FK-60) is designed for higher amp drawing fans like the Mark VIII and Viper fan.

If you're really in doubt, just e-mail Brian Baskin from DCC and ask him. He'll give you an honest answer.

Wiring-wise, just cut the wire harness, figure out which wire is high speed and which is negative, and the instructions that come with the DCC will tell you.

Sicarius428 said:
I used the 35 amp controler... which should work fine though I do wish i got the 65 to be sure. I picked up the fan for about 180 through a friend that works at a body shop but i think the going rate is about 200. It's a really efficient fan for how much cfm it pulls and for how thin it is. I cut off the original 3 wire connector(you only need 2 of them) and used blade connectors(supplied with the dc controler) and taped them up good. I think it is the middle one which isnt used(black w/red stripe) the two fatter(10ga.) wire are the high hot(black w/yellow stripe) and ground. You will need a spacer because the fan center does protrude past the shroud. I went to OSH and picked up some aluminum 1 inch flat(for the top) and 1 1/2 inch flat(for the bottom) and some 1/4 inch aluminum triming i believe. This was enough for me to mount it to the edge of my griffin... filled it up nicely too. This leaves about 1/4 inch... maybe a little less... to your water pump pulley bolts with the 3 inch radiator. There is a bit of fabrication to get this thing mounted right so its probably the least easy fan to mount out there. As for an overflow, I bought the canton one made for the foxes and bolted it directly to the shround using some washers and a little trimming. For the price and ammount of work involved... I honestly suggest a dual 11 inch spal setup if you are looking for something really good that you can just pop on.
Kevin

That is awesome...you have the exact same combo as I was planning on getting in a similar setup. Do you think the Viper fan is overkill? What negatives could having the 65amp dcc controller have over the 35? More charging problems?

Do you have the canton part number (link?)...I had it at one time and lost it during a computer change:(

Got a link to the Spal dual 11 inch?

Good info and thanks very much:nice:

sgarlic said:
You shouldn't have any alternator/battery related problems so long as you run the DCC.. as I'm sure you know, it gradually engages the fan, so you won't have the horrible spikes non dcc-users have. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the DCC unit not being suited for that. I believe the higher model (I want to say FK-60) is designed for higher amp drawing fans like the Mark VIII and Viper fan.

If you're really in doubt, just e-mail Brian Baskin from DCC and ask him. He'll give you an honest answer.

Wiring-wise, just cut the wire harness, figure out which wire is high speed and which is negative, and the instructions that come with the DCC will tell you.

Yeah I hate the spikes I experience...sometimes enough to kill my car:notnice:

So what are the amp/draw ratios for the Mark 8 and Viper fan...I'm wondering if the Viper fan flows the same as the Mark 8 and the Mark requires little to no modification I would probably go with it.

So how does the "60" work compared to the "35". Will or could it have negative effects, like needing more power to run it? Less reliable?

Thanks again!

You can never have too much cooling. I am very pleased with the viper fan. It just takes a bit of work to get mounted. The 60amp is actually more efficient than the 35 according to Brian. It will not use any more power than the fan needs but can handle up to 60 amps. I wish I just spend the extra money and got the 60 to begin with though mine is working fine... The part number for the overflow is 80-230 I believe and I bought it from these guys. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUST...emQQcategoryZ33602QQitemZ8007458965QQtcZphoto . They seem to be the cheapest around when I was looking... The spal fan I think would be a good alternative would be the 30100846. There were a couple part numbers that poped up but you want the dual 11 inch(pull). Hope that helps.
Kevin