Fox OMG why????

kendawg73

Feb 5, 2014
Well I just totally f'ed up.... I was at Walmart the other day, and seen the ultra black RTV and figure I might as well throw it in the cart since I know I used up the other tube.. then I noticed there is black silicon right next to it...got me thinking, I sure hope I didn't buy that awhile back... hmmmm… so I come home and look what I have ... I had a half used up tube of ultra, I think from when I put the water pump on, and when I put the head gaskets on last year or so, so I can't even get that out the tube now, for where you put a dab where the end of black, head and gasket meet... so I didn't use that one recently, so I know when I put the intake on, I grab a new tube of my self to seal the ends... and also used it for the bearing retainer on the transmission... so I go and dig it out the trash.. to make sure it was ultra... and F no.. it's damn black silicon... OMG!!!!!!!

so now I"m all f'ed up not sure what was used where.... HOW THE HELL DID I NOT NOTICE THIS!!!!!! I might of even coated the thermostat housing gasket with a very thin tack layer...

I am beyond pissed off right now... so now, alll the progress I finally made that last month or so.. I'm going to have to (come spring) put the lower intake back off, get new gaskets and scrap off that crap off and apply the ultra. and then drop the new exhaust I put on 2 weeks ago, and pull the damn trans mission back out and remove and re-seal the bearing retainers... and hope to god I didn't use black silicon anywhere else.... which at this point who the hell knows... I'm still on the fence if I should just torch the damn thing..... I'm so sick to my stomach over this... how the hell could I've been so stupid!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm confused...why are you being so self deprecating? You think that the auto parts stores put silicone/RTV products there as a alternative to ultra black for a reason?
There are other companies making black RTV goop too besides Permatex.
If the tube of silicone sealant was intended to be used as a automotive gasket sealant, then that's what it is. And it won't matter a flip.
If you take all that apart just because it wasn't ultra black, then you worry too much.

Or maybe you should just torch the damn thing.

I'm confused...why are you being so self deprecating? You think that the auto parts stores put silicone/RTV products there as a alternative to ultra black for a reason?
There are other companies making black RTV goop too besides Permatex.
If the tube of silicone sealant was intended to be used as a automotive gasket sealant, then that's what it is. And it won't matter a flip.
If you take all that apart just because it wasn't ultra black, then you worry too much.

Or maybe you should just torch the damn thing.

These are both permatex products.. the ultra black is listed as a gasket maker RTV like there blue, gray, copper etc... the black silicon is not, it just a sealant like the clear one they sell, which are totally different product types..... for sealing out water ect... and states online not rocommanded as a gasket...

I didnt even think about/realize they were 2 different things until I seen them next to each other at walmart, which got me thinking, and sure enough I grabbed and used the wrong one....

So if now I dont changed it out, I'm sure this will eventually leak oil once i get it running

Last edited:
I'd also leave it. It may hold up for a while.. and if you're going to redo it all, may as well wait til it actually fails lol.

Gasket tack is more to hold them in place during assembly.. not as a means of an actual "seal".. that's what the gasket is for, eh.... i'd leave it and drive it, see what happens..

Well there is no gasket, this was for the end front and back where the intake sits...where u put the thick bead on and also the bearing retainer on the trans mission...

And it will be worse to redo it later, since then I would have to remove everything, right now I dont have anything else on the lower intake installed... pulling the transmission back out will suck.. but I dont want oil and trans fluid leaking everywhere... I just can believe I was so stupid and didnt notice I had the wrong stuff... thank God I did use the right stuff when I installed the timing cover last year...

Last edited:
Well there is no gasket, this was for the end front and back where the intake sits...where u put the thick bead on and also the bearing retainer on the trans mission...

Umm.. yes.. there is a gasket for the lower intake.. lol. It comes with the gasket set.. unless you got some garbage. Mine came with 3 diff kinds.. if someone told you to NOT use one, then haha..

As for the input shaft housing? dude lol.. it's going to be FINE. Unless you plugged up something, you should be just gravy. Relax, homie.

If you put your lower intake down without end gaskets, and just used a bead of goo, you may have an issue.. yes... that's not very good to do, anyone who told you that, well lmfao... nooBs.

If you put your lower intake down without end gaskets, and just used a bead of goo, you may have an issue.. yes... that's not very good to do, anyone who told you that, well lmfao... nooBs.

I think you may find that you are the noob on this subject. While yes, the kits come with pieces to use on the ends, most don’t actually use them.

Reactions: 2 users
No need to be rude man, truth be told-a lot of Windsor guys do forgo the end seals for ritestuff-most of the boosted guys use it,the N/a guys as well. As far as pro racers-I dunno,I have heard they favor cork and rite stuff :shrug:

I used these Ford racing gaskets, there Graphite- https://lmr.com/item/M9439G50/Mustang-50L-Lower-Intake-Manifold-To-Cylider-Head-Gaskets-79 they don't come with the end seals, and from what everything I read on the interweb's, people use either Ultra black or the rite stuff and don't use the cork seals or even the silicon ones that some come with. I have heard of some kit, I think it comes with these same gaskets, but the end seals are not cork, and they have metal tabs on them or something to hold them to the china wall to keep them in place and not slide out, I think maybe the stock Explorer gaskets? can any one confirm.. .since I'm going to have to get new gaskets now, either I get the same ones I have or find that kit. I'm using the Explorer GT40p heads and intake anyway...

As much as I hate having to redo this, I just don't trust this not to leak, especially in the china wall area which is definitely a major leak point... there is no mention of it having any oil withstanding properties... in fact it says this "
Note: Not recommended for gasketing applications." https://www.permatex.com/products/a...nts/permatex-black-silicone-adhesive-sealant/

And what really pisses me off, I had to new tubes of this sitting on the shelf, but the packaging was slightly different (think one came from part store and other from Wal-Mart) I I was looking them over to make sure they had the same part # ect… but my dumbass complete missed the fact it didn't even say ultra black on either one... arrrgggg.

Where as the ultra black is listed under the gasket making ones - https://www.permatex.com/products/g...m-oil-resistance-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-4/ and calls out it's high oil resistance... ect...

So, for anyone else, pls make sure you double check your using the correct stuff, and don't screw up like me......

Reactions: 1 user
To be fair, there are plenty of gasket kits these days that include china wall gaskets composed of materials other than cork. The Fel-Pro PermaDry I used when I resealed the top end of my Mercury came with rubber-type gaskets. I used them both.

B13985CA-B265-43E4-82FA-C9EC4B74535D.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I've had success with the blue gaskets, I've also had success with ultra black and the blue stuff. I like the blue rubber gaskets, they have ears that keep them in place, it has been common practice to use rtv type stuff on the china walls for decades.

I'm looking at the MS95952 kit, made for the explorers and 93-?? Mustangs, so they match the gt40 ports... and has the blue China rails, which look like they have tabs on the bottom side to keep them in place, of course I would still put a thin coating on both sides to seal... seems people as re having good luck with them..

I never use the china wall gaskets, I always lay a 3/8 size bead of RTV on the end walls then install the intake using pieces of all-thread to make studs with to help keep things lined up. I then remove the intake and check to see that there was full contact on both end walls, I wait 5mins the re-install the intake on the studs. Simply stud the 4 outside holes to help line things up then as you put the bolts in just remove the studs and proceed as usual.

• Agree
I'm looking at the MS95952 kit, made for the explorers and 93-?? Mustangs, so they match the gt40 ports... and has the blue China rails, which look like they have tabs on the bottom side to keep them in place, of course I would still put a thin coating on both sides to seal... seems people as re having good luck with them..

Just use a fat bead of rtv and call it good.

The best place for pre-formed china wall gaskets is in the trash can next to your work bench lol.

Reactions: 1 users