Fox OMG why????

• Sponsors (?)

I actually used the cork gaskets in mine. I remember getting made fun of it because "nobody uses those" but I still did it. But I last set my intake about 15 years ago...so I guess I must have done it right

But yeah...I'd venture to say a lot of people don't run them.

Where's Rio red Cobra guy now that there are so many admitted " noobs" not using the cork end pieces that came in their gasket sets?....

Slapping himself on the forehead maybe?

There's always got to be an "expert" in every group...thats why they need a prick in the same group to keep the expert in check.

You want me on this wall...you need me on this wall!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Where's Rio red Cobra guy now that there are so many admitted " noobs" not using the cork end pieces that came in their gasket sets?....

Slapping himself on the forehead maybe?

There's always got to be an "expert" in every group...thats why they need a prick in the same group to keep the expert in check.

You want me on this wall...you need me on this wall!!

Lol. Based the General’s facepage comment, he has been the almighty in other threads as well. Gotta love em.

• Agree
Just gonna leave this here.

cee52e41.jpg

6f4320fe.jpg

Screw the great wall of china I got the great wall of RTV! Let's see this **** leak now!

DF5AFA11-0AFC-4688-A64F-23F9D30E0665.png

Last edited:
Well I just totally f'ed up.... I was at Walmart the other day, and seen the ultra black RTV and figure I might as well throw it in the cart since I know I used up the other tube.. then I noticed there is black silicon right next to it...got me thinking, I sure hope I didn't buy that awhile back... hmmmm… so I come home and look what I have ... I had a half used up tube of ultra, I think from when I put the water pump on, and when I put the head gaskets on last year or so, so I can't even get that out the tube now, for where you put a dab where the end of black, head and gasket meet... so I didn't use that one recently, so I know when I put the intake on, I grab a new tube of my self to seal the ends... and also used it for the bearing retainer on the transmission... so I go and dig it out the trash.. to make sure it was ultra... and F no.. it's damn black silicon... OMG!!!!!!!

so now I"m all f'ed up not sure what was used where.... HOW THE HELL DID I NOT NOTICE THIS!!!!!! I might of even coated the thermostat housing gasket with a very thin tack layer...

I am beyond pissed off right now... so now, alll the progress I finally made that last month or so.. I'm going to have to (come spring) put the lower intake back off, get new gaskets and scrap off that crap off and apply the ultra. and then drop the new exhaust I put on 2 weeks ago, and pull the damn trans mission back out and remove and re-seal the bearing retainers... and hope to god I didn't use black silicon anywhere else.... which at this point who the hell knows... I'm still on the fence if I should just torch the damn thing..... I'm so sick to my stomach over this... how the hell could I've been so stupid!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't ideal but it's not the end of the world either. Had you discarded the pre-formed end pieces and used Ultra on the ends, I wouldn't have batted an eye. As it is, it appears that you've used Black RTV to seal the gaskets. This is not an emergency. There is exactly 50 degrees of operational difference between Black RTV and Ultra. Ultra has additional solids as a gasket making material and additives that help it to dry and cure faster.

The short version is that if your sealant was allowed time to cure before first start, you will likely never notice a difference between the RTV black and the Ultra in your application.

For the record: I have done lower intake end gaskets both ways. I've used RTV on both sides of the cork or rubber end gaskets and I've also discarded the end gaskets and used gasket maker. I've not had leaks in either case. Where I think folks get the most leaks is when they forget to put a dab on the ends of the gasket or rely on dry cork gaskets or ill-fitting pre-formed rubber gaskets.

• Agree
This isn't ideal but it's not the end of the world either. Had you discarded the pre-formed end pieces and used Ultra on the ends, I wouldn't have batted an eye. As it is, it appears that you've used Black RTV to seal the gaskets. This is not an emergency. There is exactly 50 degrees of operational difference between Black RTV and Ultra. Ultra has additional solids as a gasket making material and additives that help it to dry and cure faster.

The short version is that if your sealant was allowed time to cure before first start, you will likely never notice a difference between the RTV black and the Ultra in your application.

For the record: I have done lower intake end gaskets both ways. I've used RTV on both sides of the cork or rubber end gaskets and I've also discarded the end gaskets and used gasket maker. I've not had leaks in either case. Where I think folks get the most leaks is when they forget to put a dab on the ends of the gasket or rely on dry cork gaskets or ill-fitting pre-formed rubber gaskets.

They ford racing lower intake gaskets I got are metal core with the outer being graphite, they didnt come with China rails gaskets at all.... my main concern was I mistakenly used the black scion sealant and not the gasket maker ultra black... the sealant doesn't say anything about having any oil resistant so that's what worrys me... removing the lower and redoing with ultra black I'm ok with since I haven't installed anything else on the intake, so it will be simple to remove, car has not and will not be started until spring... now if the black sealant will hold up to oil/transfer fluid than that would be great if I dont have to pull the tranmission back out to reseal the steel bearing input shaft retainer. Not sure how prone that is to leaking anyway.

I think your good. But if you're worried about it yank it apart now before you put it all back together, mine leaks at the rear wall (that's why it's called exxon valdez) but I was skimpy as it was the end of the tube so thats on me.

It doesn't really need to state that. It's silicon. It's oil resistant by its very nature and once again, you did not use it in the place of, just in addition to the gasket.
No I did use it in place off, the ford racing lower gaskets didnt come with end seals at all, I guess they figure u would use rtv. But cool I feel a little better now... as for as the trans bearing reatainer is concerned.

If you haven’t so much as installed the upper intake, I would definitely be cautious and reseal the lower with ultra black. That’ll take all of 30 mins to do. But I would not worry about the trans honestly.

Yeah I'm not going to worry about the trans input shaft bearing retainer., if it did leak later it's going to be the same amount of work to fix it as it would later since the exhaust and everything is already installed... but yes I'm definitely redoing the lower, just for peace of mind, because if that did leak, that's a lot more work to do later, draining coolant, and removing a lot more stuff... so I'll just order a new lower gasket kit...

I love how most of these cars are stock.. makes sense. Push 14lbs through your 331 with heads and a cam and tell me your RTV holds up.

Maybe it does? Not a fan. It's chincy and cheap, and who uses CORK?? Sweet christ.