One more Firewall Adjuster thread.

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
Ok. Decided to go with the MM clutch cable some time this year. So since funding is so tight right now I should go ahead and get the firewall adjuster out of the way.

And now for a bit of humor......
Been reading. Tired of reading. Most threads are old. Things change. Tired of reading that one is junk because their great grand pappy had one fail on the Oregon trail back in the day. Also tired of modern day argument stories that are supposed to end all debate...like...."but, but, I've put 137 of this brands on customer's cars and all 137 were perfect and they all sent me a thank you note." We all know claiming "customers" makes you the big dog and gives everyone else the right to shut up. Can't trust anyone these days. People routinely make up stuff just to win a discussion....sad.
.....End of humor

So which is the one to get?

Steeda
Maximum Motorsports
Ford Racing
BBK
UPR
One I don't know about?

I want one that will not loosen up on its own. I'm thinking I really want to avoid a set screw. True? One that doesn't have a reputation for chewing up cables would be nice too.

• Sponsors (?)

It comes down to money.I'm sure there's not much debate what the best designed kit is(and maybe the worst,starts with a "U").The buyer just needs to decide that over the next 5-10 years of ownership of their Fox is the extra 50(?) bucks a deal breaker.
The math,I don't know .30-.80 cents a month.

For me,I don't plan on selling my car any time soon so I decided for the slightly improved ctutch feel it was worth it.
If you think there's a chance you'll be selling your Fox in a year or so,then saving the $50 may be a good idea(hoping the cable,if it's one of those adjustable POS,lasts that long).

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It comes down to money.I'm sure there's not much debate what the best designed kit is(and maybe the worst,starts with a "U").The buyer just needs to decide that over the next 5-10 years of ownership of their Fox is the extra 50 bucks is a deal breaker.
The math,I don't know .30-.80 cents a month.

For me,I don't plan on selling my car any time soon so I decided the slightly improved ctutch feel was worth it.
If you think there's a chance you'll be selling your Fox in a year or so,then saving the $50 may be a good idea.

Good luck
I bought the car new so never selling it...lol. This isn't an overly expensive part so I guess my question is which one is best.

In my opinion the R&D put into the MM design is worth the extra cost.They could have just copied the same quadrant design as the others,priced it inline with the others,and sold 5 times as many as they do now.
I would think that through their involvement in racing they were able to design something that just plain works better.
I would read through their fax page and decide for yourself if what they're pedaling concerning the cable/quadrant kit makes sense and is worth the extra expense.

Wait. Please re-read my post. I'm only asking about a firewall adjuster. I already have a quadrant and I'm doing the MM cable. If the MM adjuster is best then good. If the Steeda or Ford Racing is better, fine.
I just want that one specific answer and what you like about it that makes it better. Micro click? Locking mechanism? Firewall support?
Thanks.

Get the MM and call it a day . In reality the fire wall adjuster just screws in and out but why not just get the one designed for that cable

Yeah, Jeff, that's the obvious answer I recon. I just have never had one and I want one that clicks to a positive spot and doesn't move. MM provides one very low res pic. Don't get me wrong, I trust MM and have used tons of their parts with never an issue. I just can't tell much about their adjuster because I can't find normal product pics from all angles. I know lots of guys on here have run each brand and was hoping for just plain ole first-hand info. Can't figure out why I didn't get that. I appreciate your response and OldMan's response as well.

Well here's some first hand experience for you.
After reading your post I ran out to the garage to see what kind of adjuster/quadrant I installed years ago.
Turns out it's a Steeda with the set screw and upon further inspection the screw was backed out quite a bit.
I put some reference marks on it when set it up , from the looks of it it only moved about 1/8" , but keep in mind
this set-up probably only has 1200 miles on it.

Well here's some first hand experience for you.
After reading your post I ran out to the garage to see what kind of adjuster/quadrant I installed years ago.
Turns out it's a Steeda with the set screw and upon further inspection the screw was backed out quite a bit.
I put some reference marks on it when set it up , from the looks of it it only moved about 1/8" , but keep in mind
this set-up probably only has 1200 miles on it.
Good info bud. Thanks!

My MM was just a thread in and out no click . But I never had an adjustment issue where it moved around ever . I daily drove the car too at the time it was installed

There's only one FW adjuster that's worth a flying Rat F&^* IMO. The Fiore Micro-Click.

Someone else makes it now :chin Lemme find a link.

Ok... The Fiore Micro Click, after some hooha, was later made by Lethal Performance, and now appears to be made by UPR.

I cannot say that this UPR piece is as good as the original Micro Click (that was ripped off) because I've never had the UPR version in my hand.

I did get to see a Lethal Performance version once and it looked as nice as the Fiore.

If you're into using a heavy clutch, I'd def try this type or one that has a locking ring.

Additionally: Many years ago, I saw @jrichker (I think) make a post about a bearing between the plastic cable retainer and the adjustment ring. This makes life so much easier. You don't have to fight the friction and the plastic retainer doesn't try to rotate with the adjustment collar as you twist it with tension on the cable.

• Useful
Yes. I read a lot about the Fiore only to find out they aren't in business anymore. Lethal used to carry them but I never read anything about them making their own version. I'll go back and look. I've never owned anything made by UPR. I'm kinda scared of them....lol. I'll do some looking at that particular piece though.
I also looked everywhere for that bearing fix but couldn't remember who did it. @jrichker do you have a link to your post about this?
Oh....and I run Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. I'm good with stock pedal effort.

Thanks @Noobz347

Oh....and I run Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. I'm good with stock pedal effort.

That's usually what I run.

Fiore made the thing but never did a patent.

From what I recall, Lethal filed the patent and started making them.

Now, it appears that UPR is making them. I've no idea what the current status of the patent. I would imagine UPR has the rights now.

Probably because Lethal doesn't make anything for Fox anymore :shrug:

Last edited:
Good (historical) info posted here:

I've bought them all over the last 25 years. The only one I had to send back was the MM one. It was clearly way wayyyyy to long. Most of the others are decent quality. Best one is the BBK kit in my opinion. The adjuster works smoothly, the quadrant has two hooks for pedal heigh preference, the end of the cable has the double adjustable nut, and the fender mount is shorter to allow for aftermarket header clearance. I'd buy the full BBK kit for an extra $20 knowing it's easiest to install, and will fit no matter what.

Kurt

• Useful
Kurt....Thanks but Firewall Adjuster only. Quadrant has been on the car since dinosaurs and won't be coming off. Hate to hear you had to send the MM back. Very odd to hear a failure with their products.

I’m going to be that guy Im sorry . The stigma of UPR around here is flat out aggravating at times . Sure they had there shortcomings early on .

Those guys are at every major race . The customer service is second to none . They take care of the customer beyond .

Also the parts ? Well we have been 4.9x with them in the 1/8 and 1.1x 60s . Others faster . Slammed down from wheelies , all kinds of chatter and tire shake .... guess what ? Arms , k members etc all in one piece . Everything is made here in the US and has been for a while . At least the suspension stuff. I have full upr stuff under my car and drive on pretty much the worst roads in this country . NYC.....

I’m sure the aluminum firewall adjuster will work just fine . There isn’t rocket science to that one . No I do not work for them it’s just frustrating to see the same thing over and over again .

I've never owned anything made by UPR. I'm kinda scared of them....lol. I'll do some looking at that particular piece though
I didn't slam them. See....I even said I'd take another look. I trust your opinion Jeff. Always.

I must have stepped in something around here and didn't even know it. Been seeing it at times on here and have been wondering.
If I offended someone somehow I didn't intend to. The last three months taking care of my stepdad (and mom) from the wreck....him still to this day being in ICU...all has been overwhelming. This forum has been the one and only escape I've had. I'd hate that to not be here for me.

Reactions: 1 users