Opening the hoodscoop...

• Sponsors (?)

I driled holes in the honeycomb insert. Then used a hole saw to cut openings just above my blower. It lets heat up from under the hood while sitting, and blows cool air across my blower while driving. With the hood closed you can't tell the difference in the way it looks.

Along with air, remember all the other things you are opening it up to... water, dirt, etc.

Aside from spending the money for a Mach-type induction... I dont think you will see much "function" from just removing two pieces of plastic. Just one of Ford's brilliant non-functional features.

RoadconeTuning said:
i want to take the plastic "grill" out of the front... as well as the insert in the hood.

That scoop is pretty flimsy and the grill is the main support for it. I think if you take it out, it may ripp off. If I wasn't using it to cool off my blower I wouldn't bother with it.

It is normal to want to make your hood scoop functional. It is wrong to actually do so...

And there is not an "insert" in the hood, you have to cut it.

If you really want a functional hood scoop, you should do the shaker install. It's original for the GT's and looks cool!!:nice: A customized GT hood scoop would look the same, but could even cause damage. I've heard of the whole scoop blowing off due to too much air flow.

McTeague said:
Press down on the scoop, it is not rigid and is not designed for anything more than what it is already doing which is being non-functional.

If you leave the honeycomb in and drill holes in it, it is fine over 100mph, but it doesn't serve any porpose other than ventilation which I need more than most with the eaton blower.

jstreet0204 said:
I driled holes in the honeycomb insert. Then used a hole saw to cut openings just above my blower. It lets heat up from under the hood while sitting, and blows cool air across my blower while driving. With the hood closed you can't tell the difference in the way it looks.

If I ever get close to getting a cowl hood someday, I'll do this and see how well it works. If it works well and I like it, I might keep it, if not, I'll get the cowl hood. (I like win-win scenarios).

Don't totally remove the black insert. It will cause the scoop to rip off at high speed.

Also, opening the scoop up (even while making it functional) will increase drag on the car. The scoop isn't as bad aerodynamically as many think because the scoop is closed near the front. Open it up and things change

you would regret doing this.

1. it would rip off at high speed
2. it would let too much crap in

if you want a functional hood scoop put a shaker conversion on it.

performance wise it is all for nothing really though so you may just look at a differnt hood that you like.

people can be a lil too negetive. i say go for it... but do it in stages. cut the blanket under the hood, use a jig or hole saw and cut a hole under the scoop, and drill holes in the honeycomb. works? try a lil more... hollow it out a lil so you have "bars" acting kinda like a brace. still want more, then go ahead and remove the grill and see how its held on. see if you can anchor the scoop more so that it wont "rip off" at high speeds.

I say give it a go. just like all mods, there are drawbacks. make note of weakpoints as you move along... but go for it :)

Torinalth

the bolts were not designed for that. theyre designed to keep the scoop on the hood, with the scoop in a closed configuration, it creats a drag bubble up in front of the grill, which lets air move over what looks like a blunt edge of the scoop, and thus provides downforce.

if you now have air coming into the scoop at higher speeds (100+), you now have that air thats coming in and into the engine bay creating large amounts of lift under the scoop. it wont take long before the scoop developes stress fractures from the vibration and one day just tears off getting on the freeway.

if youre gonna do it, id say take it off, do the cut on the hood, re-attach it like normal, then fiberglass all the edges, then fill them in so they have a nice contour with fiberglass reinforced body filler, then normal amounts of bondo/prep then paint. id also recommend some type of mesh or maybe fab some sort of cover that you could attach on the inside for when rainy season comes.

if youre worried about underhood temps, look into fabbing some sort of heat exchanger towards the rear of the hood. the vaccum created from moving sucks the hot air out, and that sucking motion lets cooler air from under the car get sucked in as well.

I helped a friend do this a couple of years ago, and to do it right, it takes a lot of work.

We first removed the scoop and made 2 reinforcing straps on the underside of the scoop. We used simple 1/8" x 1" stainless steel straps from Home Depot. We cut the hole in the hood and drilled 4 extra holes to secure the scoop with the straps. We used a liquid urethane to coat the inside of the scoop and direct the air into the opening in the hood. We also cut small strips out of the firewall area to let the air out from under the hood. We cut the holes, not really in the firewall, but where the windshield wipers are housed (were the STB was bolted in). Then we took out the plastic piece between the hood and windshield and cut out some areas out right along the windshield. This forced the air out and up the windshield. We didn't know if it would actually work right, but it did. 3 years later, he has had no problems.

So, if you want to take the time to do it right, it can work, but if you take the "quick" route, it can bite you in the ass.

wow.... you people got hardcore against this... if i was planning on spending a buncha money on glassing it in and repainting i would just buy the cobraR hood or 03 cobra hood i want... all you had to say was, its not fastend to the hood well enough to do that and will tear off when going down the road.

RoadconeTuning said:
wow.... you people got hardcore against this... if i was planning on spending a buncha money on glassing it in and repainting i would just buy the cobraR hood or 03 cobra hood i want... all you had to say was, its not fastend to the hood well enough to do that and will tear off when going down the road.
And all you had to do was read the other 100 threads on this topic instead of starting a new one :shrug:

If you do not like the way your question was answered and the free advice you got then too f'n bad...