Opinions Wanted: Which mod?

joey_corleone82

Mar 18, 2006
I have 300-500 to spend on my car for a mod. I have a 2001 GT convertible, pretty much stock except for magnaflow cats. I called the local guru here in Detroit (lidio, alternative auto) and talked to some friends and here are some options I've heard

1) Cold air intake - The more expensive ones around $300
2) Professional tuning - the shop will do this which includes custom chip
3) 4.10 rear gears

the shop was pushing doing 4.10 and tune all at once for $900 but I don't think I can spend that much right now.

So my question to you guys is which do you think I should go with first, the cold air intake, the tuning by itself, or the 4.10's. I'm also concerned that the 4.10's will destroy my gas mileage and drivability. I love my stang, and I want it to be fast , but I don't take it to the track or anything, just cruising around on nice nights.

- Joey

• Sponsors (?)

Me too, I put 3.73's in my Cobra and it made a HUGE difference. Go with 3.73, I still get 21-22 mpg. You are gonna need to correct the speedo. Get a Predator programmer and you can do the tunning yourself and correct the spedo.

Gears. 4.10's if you are brave, 3.90's if your on the fence, 3.73's if you want an improvment but dont want to go balls out.

Also replace the bearings while your in there. Ratech sells a complete kit on Summit Racing for $110.

A gear install is expensive though, keep this in mind. Spend anywhere from $150-220 on a ring and pinion, $110 on bearings, AT LEAST $100 for a SpeedCal to correct the speedometer, all the way to $400 for a handheld programmer to adjust the speedo. Add in install cost, and gear lube/friction mod if not included (another $40), and if you want to rebuild the trak-loc thats also $40 for the kit.

Dont just jump into gears if you dont know the expenses that can come with them. Choose your ratio wiseley also, as in what the future for the car is. I got 4.10's and now I want nitrous... that means ill have to stick to the 1/8th mile.