Paint and Body Options for replacing my shot sunroof glass

• Sponsors (?)

They pop up on marketplace a bit. Some are good prices others think they have gold(like everything else in the foxbody world)

I grabbed one local for $75 just as a spare in case mine ever breaks. Then I saw one in worse condition listed for $350

Lmr sells a kit with all the brackets&hardware (except the outer trim)

So I’m ready to pull the trigger on this one I found on eBay but something about it looks weird to me. Do you guys notice how it looks like it doesn’t have that metal trim around the glass? I know he removed the seal but I’m talking about the actual black metal, to me it looks like just glass without that metal trim that the factory has. Is this a factory piece? Maybe I’m just not used to seeing one in good condition lol.

Attachments

• 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7106.jpeg
    IMG_7106.jpeg
    999.4 KB · Views: 93
NPD had a few NOS units but they were $1K+ each I believe.

Other than that, used it the only option.
I never really look at that website for parts.
Pretty misleading site, nothing i clicked on was in stock, i think they could let you know before you get that far (or just don't show it at all).

Anthony, that ebay one looks right to me, but i don't have a sunroof, so...

For me, if i found one NOS for $1000 i'd pay it before i would buy a used $300 one off of ebay.
I just don't think i would buy a used one based on pictures, i would have to see it in person.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. The metal trim does not appear to be present.
Yea, the guy responded to my inquiry. He says he removed it for “weight savings”. Not sure I really understand that but whatever. I’m back on the hunt for a new one but in Miami there’s not much foxbody stuff around and whatever you do find is overpriced. If anyone has one or knows of one please let me know.

Yeah I do not know why anyone would remove the metal trim? It is going to be hard to sell like that in my opinion. Oh well...

Last month there was a 90 GT sunroof car n the local Pick N Pull. It was there 3 days before I could get there and it was virtually stripped. Sunroof was gone. Had it been there I would have grabbed it. Someone pulled the drivetrain before it got there because there was a 2.3 resting in the engine compartment. I got a few trinkets for my 89 that I needed so it was not a wasted trip. Hope you find one

Yeah I do not know why anyone would remove the metal trim? It is going to be hard to sell like that in my opinion. Oh well...

Last month there was a 90 GT sunroof car n the local Pick N Pull. It was there 3 days before I could get there and it was virtually stripped. Sunroof was gone. Had it been there I would have grabbed it. Someone pulled the drivetrain before it got there because there was a 2.3 resting in the engine compartment. I got a few trinkets for my 89 that I needed so it was not a wasted trip. Hope you find one
There’s a few decent ones on eBay but the problem is they all have the rubber seal still on and no one is willing to remove it for me. I’d hate to buy one and then I take off that seal and see the metal is shot underneath.

That should tell you all you need to know. The sunroof seal is available and most likely will need to be replaced anyhow. Not sure why they think the seal will make it worth more but my guess is they do not want to remove it and risk exposing the metal having corrosion.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
So I acquired a new sunroof with a solid metal trim, just surface rusted. I’m going to sand down the trim to bare metal, but I’m wondering what kind of primer I should spray on it first. I’d like something that can be sprayed over rust, as there is some rust in the trim channel that I won’t be able to grind down completely. What do you guys recommend I spray before the color coat?

I think you don't paint over rust. You have to treat it either by grinding it out or chemically conversion/encapsulation. I've used Os-Pho in the past but it is caustic and you have to be careful when using it. I'm sure there's safer stuff to use now, it is a couple extra steps.
You do know you need to use etching primer on bare metal.

I think you don't paint over rust. You have to treat it either by grinding it out or chemically conversion/encapsulation. I've used Os-Pho in the past but it is caustic and you have to be careful when using it. I'm sure there's safer stuff to use now, it is a couple extra steps.
You do know you need to use etching primer on bare metal.
I’ve used Eastwood rust encapsulator in the past and that worked great. If i were to spray the whole sunroof with something like that would I want to use a self etching primer on top of that or would I use another type of primer?

I’ve used Eastwood rust encapsulator in the past and that worked great. If i were to spray the whole sunroof with something like that would I want to use a self etching primer on top of that or would I use another type of primer?
I would use both, a self etching, letting it dry for a few days, and a sandable or epoxy primer over it...