Overheating, Leaking lots of coolant, smoking

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
I will drive my 5.0 around for a bit then the temp guage will get kind of high and it will start smoking out of the hood. i pop the hood and it is smoking looks like from the overflow tank or the radiator cap. if you press on the radiator cap more smoke shoots out. i'm not sure what could be wrong. also it leaves a puddle of coolant on the ground but when you look in the overflow tank there is still coolant in there but none in the radiator tank. what to do? please help.. i'm out of ideas.

• Sponsors (?)

I had a similar issue. Not as bad though. Try getting a new radiator cap. After awhile we figured out that must be bad and when I got a new cap the problem stopped. May or may not be your problem, but a new cap is cheap and may fix the problem. Just be sure you get the correct cap. 16-17psi I think is right.

tjm73 said:
I had a similar issue. Not as bad though. Try getting a new radiator cap. After awhile we figured out that must be bad and when I got a new cap the problem stopped. May or may not be your problem, but a new cap is cheap and may fix the problem. Just be sure you get the correct cap. 16-17psi I think is right.
:Word:
Sounds like the cap to me
Good Luck

87'GTstang said:
When you say coolant on the ground - is this a leak or is it just "boilover" that came from the overflow tank?

Yea cause I had the same problem the other day but my temp gauge went to hot really fast then I saw cooliant all over the ground then I noticed my radiator crack so had to get a new one.

I found in the back of the engine where the firewall is the tube that goes into the car for the heat has a plastic flush T and it was cracked. i took 4 hours replacing it last night and i took it for a test drive and the temp guage went all the way up and my car started running really shiitty and it started smoking. I put it into my driveway popped the hood, and saw it was leaking a lil bit at the plastic t and it was smoking again. i dont understand how it could still be overheating if i fixed that problem.

My money is on a blown head gasket.

Check your oil for any signs of coolant. See if there is a slight green tint to the oil, or if it actually smells like coolant.

Did you race your car recently? What happened prior to all of these problems?

Please tell me how your car over heats.... Does it overheat when it's idling or when you are driving? Or both?

Key components that control your cooling system:

1) Radiator Cap
2) Thermostat
3) Radiator
4) Overflow Bottle
5) Mechanical Clutch Fan
6) Water Pump
7) Hoses

Now depending on where your car is leaking, anyone of these parts (among the others) are the ones that can lead to overheating. You said that you replaced the T-fitting. Are all your hoses on securely?

I would also like to know what / if any mods you have.

Things that come to my head:

1) you water pump has failed you
2) your thermostat is failed closed
3) your radiator cap can no longer hold pressure

(Below is what I would do)

First, take the car to Autozone and have the cap pressure tested. The cap needs to hold 16PSI. If the cap fails, replace it and try your car again. They can also apply pressure to your cooling system to help you look for leaks..

Next, (If the cap doesn't fix it) Buy a new Thermostat and gasket and replace the one that is in your car. Again, test your car (in your drive way if possible)

If it's still overheating, let the car cool down and restart it... Look at the fan to verify that it turns and that you can feel coolant passing through the hoses. At this point you should replace the Waterpump and the fan clutch.

savegoodautonfg said:
I found in the back of the engine where the firewall is the tube that goes into the car for the heat has a plastic flush T and it was cracked. i took 4 hours replacing it last night and i took it for a test drive and the temp guage went all the way up and my car started running really shiitty and it started smoking. I put it into my driveway popped the hood, and saw it was leaking a lil bit at the plastic t and it was smoking again. i dont understand how it could still be overheating if i fixed that problem.

Did you purge the air out of the coolant system?
Even if you did it could still be causing some mild temp fluctuations for a while.:shrug:

srothfuss. thanks for your help. it overheats at idle and while driving.. and i changed pressure cap already. its at a really good mechanic around here getting looked at today.. what do you think could be causing the car to be driving like shhitt

Yup. You let it overheat for whatever reason (probably that cracked plastic thing you're talking about) and it blew a head gasket. That's where I'm putting my money. Take that plastic thing totally out and get two new heater hoses. In fact, why don't you just replace all of your hoses, your thermostat and your water pump? That should narrow things down a bit. Chances are that stuff needs to be done anyway and it can't hurt. Besides, it's relatively cheap. If it still overheats, it's either your raditator or a head gasket.

For God's sake, anyone reading this thread who doesn't know any better, take heed: Do NOT keep driving your car around while it's overheated! It's likely that savegoodautonfg took a small issue and turned it into a major problem here.