Overheating problem

• Sponsors (?)

More info please.

How hot is it there (ambient temps)?

How long did the temps go up and did they stay up or come back down?

If they didnt come back down for awhile, did they come back down once you got up to a sustained 45 mph or so?

If you don't have a performance T-stat (I like Mr Gasket, but Robert Shaw and others work fine), get one. They dont suffer from hysteresis like parts store units do and they open fully sooner than parts store units. I have the feeling you have one already (since your other components look good), but it was worth mentioning.

Good luck.

More info please.

How hot is it there (ambient temps)?

How long did the temps go up and did they stay up or come back down?

If they didnt come back down for awhile, did they come back down once you got up to a sustained 45 mph or so?

If you don't have a performance T-stat (I like Mr Gasket, but Robert Shaw and others work fine), get one. They dont suffer from hysteresis like parts store units do and they open fully sooner than parts store units. I have the feeling you have one already (since your other components look good), but it was worth mentioning.

Good luck.

it was like 70 degrees out today, it was a lot of idle-30 mph for like 5-10 min, then I looked and it was 210. By the way Hissin, I forgot to thank you for the last post about the e-fan, all I needed was power to the A/C wire. T-Stat is new, but you never know with those things so Ill change it.

it was like 70 degrees out today, it was a lot of idle-30 mph for like 5-10 min, then I looked and it was 210. By the way Hissin, I forgot to thank you for the last post about the e-fan, all I needed was power to the A/C wire. T-Stat is new, but you never know with those things so Ill change it.

When it acts up (runs hot), does it sound and feel like the fan is on full-bore? It really feels like a fan issue.

Good luck.

ok, this is what I got. I start the car and the fan runs on low. I drove the car, the temps went back up to 210 and I popped my hood to find out my fan wasnt running at all. I turned the car off and my fan kicked on full blast for 15 seconds then shut off. Any suggestions?

ok, this is what I got. I start the car and the fan runs on low. I drove the car, the temps went back up to 210 and I popped my hood to find out my fan wasnt running at all. I turned the car off and my fan kicked on full blast for 15 seconds then shut off. Any suggestions?

I had that feelin. When you say the fan 'was on low', do you mean that it started ramping up as you reached your target temp, or that you have an underdrive jumper and it came on? I have the feeling it has an underdrive jumper (I ask because I wanted to see if the controller had the fan come on because of temp, or because of a jumper).

Really go over that temp probe again. They can be kind of finicky (not nearly as bad as other brands though).
If it looks good, hit Brian's troubleshooting page. He has a bench test for the probe and some other stuff on there.

Good luck.

I had that feelin. When you say the fan 'was on low', do you mean that it started ramping up as you reached your target temp, or that you have an underdrive jumper and it came on? I have the feeling it has an underdrive jumper (I ask because I wanted to see if the controller had the fan come on because of temp, or because of a jumper).

Really go over that temp probe again. They can be kind of finicky (not nearly as bad as other brands though).
If it looks good, hit Brian's troubleshooting page. He has a bench test for the probe and some other stuff on there.

Good luck.

When it reached my target temp, the fan was not running at all.. I popped the hood at 210 degrees and put my hand in front of the fan and felt nothing. I quick turned the car off and the sucker kicks on full blast ( I do have it wired to kick on when cars off though). The only time my fan (that I seem to notice) runs is when I start it at idle (it will run on low speed). I checked out the page, nothing really to help me. Thanks, Greg

At this point, I'd try to get ahold of Brian and have him tell you what it is. I believe I've seen someone with a real similar issue before but I certainly don't recall what the issue was.

In the meantime............

Did it pass the AC input test? It'd be cool to see that the fan comes on at 1/2 speed when the AC wire sees 12 volts.

You can disconnect the probe and look for 5 volts across pins 1 and 2. Was it there?

Good luck Greg.

At this point, I'd try to get ahold of Brian and have him tell you what it is. I believe I've seen someone with a real similar issue before but I certainly don't recall what the issue was.

In the meantime............

Did it pass the AC input test? It'd be cool to see that the fan comes on at 1/2 speed when the AC wire sees 12 volts.

You can disconnect the probe and look for 5 volts across pins 1 and 2. Was it there?

Good luck Greg.

Thats what gets me confused, b/c when the AC wire sees 12 volts, my fan runs on low( I wouldnt say 1/2 speed b/c I dont think its that fast at idle). Ill try too look for 5 volts awhile between 1 and 2. Thanks again

If you think something is missing or got lost from the kit, I'd contact Brian. You should be able to use a substitute for the jumpers from Radio Shack, and you can get fusible links at the parts store. Talk to Brian.

Good luck.