P0442 Leak in EVAP...

P0442 Leak in Evaporative System Detected.

My SES light came on about half way to work this morning, so when I got
off work I stopped by autozone so they could pull the code. Isn't this the code for a loose gas cap? I did the basic checks, even filled the tank, but I
couldn't find anything loose or missing.
Anybody have clue as to what may be wrong? :shrug:
I wouldn't think the gas cap would just come loose after 15 miles of hwy driving.

• Sponsors (?)

That's the one. Make sure you tighten the cap, reset the code, and see if it pops up again. Next would be to replace the cap. If that doesn't work then you have a bigger problem.

Not nessesarily all of the sudden but eventually enough to throw the code. May I suggest replacing with a locking cap since gas is so damn expensive and it would keep theives honest. The dishonest ones will just take a hammer to it.

Not just the gas cap. On the drivers side of the fuel tank theres two tubes that run to the drivers side of the car from on top of the tank. I had one of these pop out after dropping the tank one weekend and it threw that code. It was as simple as putting it back in the hole in belongs in. I beleive they're black plastic tubes that go into a blue and white plastic box.. when ya get under there and look you'll see what I'm talking about