Painting Calipers

mustang2k00

Apr 4, 2005
Hey guys, I thinking today how nice it would be to paint my calipers red to match the color of my car (laser red). Is painting them a good idea or am I better off upgrading them? Does anybody have pics of them painted on a 99-04 body? Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

• Sponsors (?)

mustang2k00 said:
Hey guys, I thinking today how nice it would be to paint my calipers red to match the color of my car (laser red). Is painting them a good idea or am I better off upgrading them? Does anybody have pics of them painted on a 99-04 body? Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

Stock '01 "Bullitt" GT's have red calipers stock, so just Google search for pics of one to see what red calipers look like.

Also, yellowmustangregistry.com has a "how-to" on painting calipers. It's not that hard, especially since if it's not PERFECT, no one will be able to tell anyway.

Good Luck

I painted mine red but wheel cleaner turned the sorta orange on me :shrug: I picked-up a kit from Advance Auto that came with a brush, th paint, and a spray-on/brush-off cleaner. Just remember brake pads still have asbestos in them so try not to breathe the dust in.

I was thinking about brushing off any grease/dust/dirt, then taping off the caliper and spray painting it without taking the wheel off. I think if I can do a good enough job with masking off what I want spray painted, I can save myself a lot of extra work.

I painted mine.

Overall, I like the yellow better than rusty metal, but now I feel like I'm just pretending to have good brakes.

Black car, yellow (sorta) matched the door graphics. Doesn't look bad when it's clean, and that's been the hard thing to do lately since it seems to rain every Saturday when I go to wash the ride.

Anywho, if I do manage to get it clean sometime soon I'll post pics in the car show.

The painting wasn't hard to do though. Jacked up the car, took off the wheel, cleaned them up a bit with a grinder and slapped on some "performance yellow" paint, which is really "safety yellow".

-e