Park and dash lights stay on any time key is on.

jbond007

Aug 10, 2005
I have installed a new light switch, a new engine fuse box and harness, I have made sure that the multi-switch in the column has been cleaned and regreased and works, and I still have my dash lights and park lights staying on. I even unplugged the multi-switch and still had the problem. I pulled the dash light fuse and the park lights would stay on and vice-versa. I am about the get a new ignition module switch to see if this might help since it occurs when the key is on. All of my lights are new, the relays are new, the wires are new. This is a recent problem. Any advice or ideas for a fix. It is just annoying!

• Sponsors (?)

The dash and parking lights are not on relays. I would check in/outs at the headlight switch. Ensure the input is hot at all times. Confirm the parking light feed (brown IIRC) is powered with the key on and the headlight switch off (it should not be this way but your car is).

You might have to trace the circuit to find where accessory power was tapped into the circuit. An alarm or aftermarket gauge lighting are two possibilities. The dash-light power is sourced from the parking light feed-source, so when one issue is fixed, the other might just fix itself as well.

I replaced the ignition switch...peace of mind...still have the same issue. I will try what you recommended. I did replace all of the dash with an Autometer race panel and ultra-lite guages. I didn't have the problem after doing this, but it did start just recently. Hopefully your recomendations will help. Thanks!

Any chance that the stereo is on the same circuit. A new development about the same time as this development is that my stereo turns on, but doesn't play even when a CD is in the player...just alot of static type noise like when the antenna is unplugged but the radio is turned on.

The stereo is not on the lighting circuit from the factory. The lighting and stereo circuits could have been crossed accidentally at some point however.

There is a light wire that goes to the stereo (orange I believe). If the stereo is shorted out, it's possible it could try to send power back through that feed wire into the dash and parking lights. I'd remove / disconnect the stereo, make sure it's wired correctly, and see what happens. Also double check the grounds on your aftermarket gauges. If the ground has become loose or is inadequate, it could also be sending power through the lighting wires. If disconnecting the radio doesn't do it, disconnect the gauge cluster too and see what happens.