parking brake

zoop66

Sep 30, 2006
All of you in cold weather states be weary of the parking brake freezing up. My 05 with 17k just froze the other day, 15 degrees out. It was not a problem last winter but the dealer states that he has replaced two this year.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah mine did it the other day after i washed my car. I didn't realize that the temp was going to get below freezing and stay there most of the day. If your parking brake does freeze don't get it towed go get a blow drier and heat the brake calipers on the rear wheels, takes about 20 minutes total. It worked for me. Only problem is i can't get it fixed under warranty i got 36500 miles on the car, sucks i know.

There is a TSB out there on this. I am not sure this is a warranty issue or not, but I would fight it with the dealership that it should be covered. The fix is updated brake lines for the parking brake. What causes this to happen is moisture got in the current parking brake lines and froze making your parking brake stick. Had this happen to me before I put the car away.

dealer replaced my cables because they are idiots. they tried to fix one problem and assumed they knew what it was without looking into it. :nonono:

on the plus side, they have not froze at all.