Brake / Radiator Leak

TomzGT

Sep 26, 2020
Delray Beach, FL
My 2006 Mustang GT has a small leak in the radiator and brake. Against my better judgement, and because I was in a pinch, I had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube (never again) and a few days after that I noticed the "Low Brake Fluid" light come on and put brake fluid in. I noticed fluid once on the right rear wheel.
About a month ago I saw that my temperature gauge was in hot. When I opened the radiator I saw that it was dry. I have to put radiator fluid in it about once a week. I don't notice any leaks on the ground.
Lastly, when I had my tires replaced, the mechanic said that the car "hiccups" when it is in gear (it's a 5 speed) if I don't give it enough gas. He said that either the fuel pump or the catalytic converter would probably need to be replaced.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, as always.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure how jiffy lube could have caused a brake fluid leak at the rear tire? Probably the rubber line has split or cracked going to the rear caliper .
There is a water line that runs under the intake that is prone to breaking but if you see no water under the car it is possibly a head gasket leaking ,does it puff white smoke at any time ?

The gas pedal is drive by wire ,meaning it is full electric ,no manual rod ,they get wear in the pedal that can cause a dead spot ,my GT has a slight dead spot just as taking off if i take off slow ,a little heavier on the pedal and i dont really notice it . 05 and 06 has its own pedal ,i believe it is a 6 wire and 07 up is a 7 wire so its a bit hard to find a replacement pedal for the 05 -06 .
You may also try replacing the fuel filter ,it under the car so you will probably need a shop to replace it

Not sure how jiffy lube could have caused a brake fluid leak at the rear tire? Probably the rubber line has split or cracked going to the rear caliper .
There is a water line that runs under the intake that is prone to breaking but if you see no water under the car it is possibly a head gasket leaking ,does it puff white smoke at any time ?
Because Jiffy Lube "does things" to cars from my past experience. I'll have the brake line checked. As far as the radiator leak, I do smell radiator fluid in the cabin from time to time - not very strong but definitely radiator fluid. There car does not have a puff of white smoke or any other kind at all. Thanks!

If you smell it inside may be the heater core leaking . Could also be hoses right at the firewall ,they have plastic ends with o rings inside and can leak with age .
If you are getting brake fluid on a rear tire there has to be a leak there some where ,pretty limited as to what it could be ,a leaky brake line ,caliper leaking ,it should be noticable

Last edited:
a few days after that I noticed the "Low Brake Fluid" light come on and put brake fluid in. I noticed fluid once on the right rear wheel.

The rubber brake line to the right rear brake caliper has probably perished with age and split. If so, you might want to replace the lines on all four wheels with braided steel units.

About a month ago I saw that my temperature gauge was in hot. When I opened the radiator I saw that it was dry. I have to put radiator fluid in it about once a week. I don't notice any leaks on the ground.

You definitely have an external coolant leak somewhere. If you don't see anything obvious from the radiator itself, the coolant hoses, or the water pump, check if there's a leak from the heater hose that runs under the intake manifold. The 90 degree elbow is a fairly common leak point as the hose perishes with age.

Lastly, when I had my tires replaced, the mechanic said that the car "hiccups" when it is in gear (it's a 5 speed) if I don't give it enough gas. He said that either the fuel pump or the catalytic converter would probably need to be replaced.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, as always.

Unless the mechanic has actually scanned the ECU for fault codes and monitored live data, he's probably talking out of his ass!