Pats Help Please

Fourcheck13

Nov 21, 2017
Hello

I recently purchased a 2001 3.6L V6 convertible Mustang side note I prefer my 1966 coupe it does not have PATS thank GOD.

So i bought the 01 on auction from a tow yard it did have a key which the tow yard purchased. Once the car was home and not knowing about PATS I replaced the fuel pump. (The theft light was not flashing until new pump was installed). With the theft light flashing and the car not starting research lead me to a key problem. The key guy just left and was unable to program the new key due to an error code he said indicated the PATS antenna was bad. Can I fix this problem I do not really want to by pass the PATS system. If it can be fixed HOW everything I find is for bypass nothing on replacement. Where do I start how can I fix this.

• Sponsors (?)

Borrowed from another site-

There is an electronic device in the key that communicates with the power train control module (PCM) to allow the car to start. The signals are relayed through a device in the steering column that may be malfunctioning in this car. Try tilting your wheel in different positions and see if it won't start. could have broken wires

The transceiver is easy to replace.
1. Remove the plastic parts around the steering column
2. remove the lock cylinder. Put the key in and turn it to run and push in on the retaining pin with a punch or similar tool and pull the cylinder out.
3. remove one screw and remove the transceiver and disconnect the wiring connecter. The transceiver sits in the hole the lock cylinder goes in.
4. install the new one and put it back together.

Reactions: 1 user
My vote. Something happened during the work (blown fuse for example) and now the PCM is not getting power. I'm basing this upon the fact that you reported the theft light did not flash before the work was done. It makes ZERO sense that replacing a fuel pump would cause the PATS antenna to go bad.

Whereas a blown fuse can cause this symptom. It's important to realize that the cluster and PCM exchange information during the PATS "prove out". Any problem with the PCM can appear like a PATS problem if not fully investigated or understood.

Want more proof? Does the PCM "talk" to an ODB2 reader/scan tool? IF not, I would be concerned.

Note, there are many model years where there's an error in the owner's manual. The PCM and fuel pump fuse are labeled backwards. For that reason it's not a bad idea to look at all of the fuses.

The best way to test the PATS system is to turn the key on but do NOT crank. Does the theft light go out after a 3 second "prove out"? If not, STOP and find out why.

If the Theft light does go out this indicates the PATS system has "proved out" and accepted the key. Any problem after this is not PATS related.

If this were my car, I would check all of the fuses. Then check all of the grounds around the radiator core support. Are the clean and tight? There's also a ground that runs around the battery to a round single pin connector. Large black wire with white strip. Sometimes disconnected during a battery swap.

Next CONFIRM key on power in/out of fuse F2.34, F2.2, and F2.8 before replacing a single part.

1999-2004 MY fuse panel schedule:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271

IF no key on power in fuse F2.34 suspect a bad ignition switch.

IF no key on power in fuse F2.2 and F2.8, suspect a CCRM related "issue". More tests needed.

When key on power has been confirmed in the above fuses, start over with the "crank with no start" check list. Post the results of all of the tests in the check list.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html#2984838

Finally if you really hate paying someone to program the PATS system, here's some information on how to DIY. Note, this assumes that the PATS is in good working order to begin with.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Last edited: