pcv issue

maddogjr

Nov 21, 2003
What is the procedure for cleaning the black oil seperator on the side of the engine block?

2.3L 4cyl

Ranger Danger- I have chased the issue to the pcv system. Coming from the back of throttle body runs a tube. The tube goes back, then down a few inches till the pcv valve. Then further down then makin a 90 degree turn foward. Then it makes a 180 into a black oil seperator can stickin off the side of the block. I pulled the hose off the oil seperator can only to find a big black oily turd pokin out the rim of the oil seperator spout. This item is a real pain in the ass to access. It resides under and behind the intake manifold, brake master cylinder and ignition pack. To access it you have to look from above the engine between the arms of the intake manifold, reach from the side, under brake line, and beside the power steerin pump and try to fiddle the turd back out. What is the procedure for

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your PCV system may be a bit goofed up. This WILL make owning a 2.3 a very unenjoyable experience.

That seperator thingy below the intake is mostly just a hollow canister with stuff in it to filter out the oil vapors. You can clean it with solvents and pop it back on. It's just a press fit, but I don't think it will come off without removing the intake manifold. Just spray stuff in there and shake it all around and empty it out. If you can, use compressed air.

Out of that comes the formed rubber PCV tube, then the PCV valve, then another tube which goes to the upper intake.

For the PCV valve itself, use only a Ford part. The turbo version is EV-127, but if you can't get that go with an EV-111 from a 98 Cobra. You have to pull off this adapter thing, but it's easy. You'll know what to do right when you see it. That's about all you'll need for that part.

-Mike