People saying I will have problems when I assemble my combo?!

Funanin

Founding Member
Nov 26, 2001
Horsham, Pennsylvania
Ok, as u can see in my mod list of what i have, I have not yet installed the heads, cam, rockers or ignition box itself. Everything else listed is already installed. Now, people are telling me that my bottom end is done if i install this stuff because the power will kill my 2 bolt main and my stock pistons, even tho i dont puff at all and my compression is good on all 8 cyl. I also heard that the 1.7rr that i got are trash because they break or crack from stress or something? One last thing, I thought i researched it pretty good, and thought there would be no problems with this combo, but I am now a little unsure about clearance issues with the cam and rockers, could someone just clear that up for me? I just wanted to have all, or almost all ford motorsport parts on my motor, and people are telling me no now, so whats the deal? I mean i already bought all the parts?! :mad:

Any of my questions answered would be a big help guys, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Well those "people" don't know what there talking about if you ain't "puffing" nothing and you have good compression...

Slap it all on and be done with it and prove them wrong...

I'm not for sure on the clearance of the cam/rocker ratio...it will be close either way...but I think it will clear...just a guess on memory...

Good Luck with it all...

Where did you buy the RR's from? I wouldn't worry to much. Sounds no different than most peoples combos. Then again Im not an expert or anything just my .02. Did you rebuild the bottom end?

They are the Ford Motorsport rockers made by Crane, and no i didnt rebuilt the bottom end. It has 120k on it, with hypereutectic pistons (its a 93), but runs really strong. I ran a 13.6 @ 100 mph back when i only had the gears and CAI at 105k miles. (my hole shots are insane)

there is nothing wrong with hyper pistons, you are probably safe to over a 100 shot of nos with them i think. what is wrong with the bottom end too, these people are dumb dumbs

I don't know who these 'people' are, or what they have been smoking... but tell then to stick to Hondas, or whatever it is they drive! This combo will work fine. You will not have any valve clearance problems either. The cam and rockers are the same as a '93 Cobra that runs the same piston as your motor. Even with the head change it will be fine (lots of room). It appears you have a very well mached combo, and I look forward to hearing how you run after the changes.

i have been running 1.7 fms roller rockers made by crane for a long time now. They work GREAT!! No problems. not sure about the clearance issue youll have to do some research. Your not going to hurt the block with that amount of mods there are people on here running power adders with the stock 2 bolt main block. Your fine dont worry about other people there just jealous cause your car will be faster.

Peace out have fun and kick some A$$

jd351 - the Cobras never ran the E303 cam. The Cobra is different from the HO cam, (270/270 and .482" lift w/1.7's) but it's not the E. Not sure where your info came from but wanted to set the record straight.

Ford Racing will tell you funanin to check p to v clearance with the Y heads, the E cam and the 1.7's - at least they advised me to check. And it's the correct way to assemble one anyway. No one can tell you how much clearance you'll have in your combo. When measuring close tolerances like p to v two engines with the same components can have very different p to v numbers. So you must measure if you want to be certain.

Funanin said:
They are the Ford Motorsport rockers made by Crane, and no i didnt rebuilt the bottom end. It has 120k on it, with hypereutectic pistons (its a 93), but runs really strong. I ran a 13.6 @ 100 mph back when i only had the gears and CAI at 105k miles. (my hole shots are insane)

Funanin, what tire/wheel combo do you use at the track bro? Thanks -

Funanin said:
Ok, as u can see in my mod list of what i have, I have not yet installed the heads, cam, rockers or ignition box itself. Everything else listed is already installed. Now, people are telling me that my bottom end is done if i install this stuff because the power will kill my 2 bolt main and my stock pistons, even tho i dont puff at all and my compression is good on all 8 cyl. I also heard that the 1.7rr that i got are trash because they break or crack from stress or something? One last thing, I thought i researched it pretty good, and thought there would be no problems with this combo, but I am now a little unsure about clearance issues with the cam and rockers, could someone just clear that up for me? I just wanted to have all, or almost all ford motorsport parts on my motor, and people are telling me no now, so whats the deal? I mean i already bought all the parts?! :mad:

Any of my questions answered would be a big help guys, thanks.

A stock production block is "relatively" safe up to around 500 HP. beyond that, you are pretty much on barrowed time.
In my buddies 93 LX we ran the factory botton end (with exception of rod bolts, and main studs) The car ran low 11's at 126 MPH when it was fuel injected.

After a few fuel injection grimlins, we changed up the combo a bit.

It had ported TFS twisted wedge heads, a nitrous HP cam, a victor Jr intake (a bit of port cleanup) a holly 650 speed deamon, long tubes.. 3'73's.. and a lentech C4.
We went to a carb setup, bassicly to illiminate the rev limiter. (among other things)

got her up and runing, with a safe tune, and jetted for 150 hp, we took it out on her maiden test run. needless to say,.. it didnt survive. split the block in two.

http://www.geocities.com/for_ever_night/Pict0019.jpg

After that mess, we got a DSS level 20 super pro bullet 347 shortblock.
Again, get it up and runing, changed the carb to a speed deamon 825, on top of a super victor intake.

This block is capable of holding 700 HP.

"The D.S.S. Super Pro Bullet 347 Short Block is capable of making well over 700 horsepower with nitrous or boost, however we recommend that you limit total horsepower to around 650. (mid to high 9’s @ 3200 lbs.) For applications over 650 horsepower you should consider the 331 Bullet SVO featuring the R302 four bolt main block." (http://www.dssracing.com/)

We thaught, ok.. cool. get it tuned. get some miles on her.. and run 125 horse jets and see what happens. the motor SCREAMED. so we thinking that was cool. we adjusted the jets in the carb, and upped the anti to 200 HP. (we thaught it would take it) with a C4 and ET streets out back. it spun through first gear, second gear, and halfway through 3rd before it broke.

We never did get a nitrous run (down the strip) with the 347.. however, it dud run an 11.02 at 127 mph on motor alone.

I have pictures of its remains as well, however they are rather large.. and I currently cannot resize them. (software problems)

FYI.. DSS based level 20 blocks are stock blocks that have been well prep'd.

It didnt fail because it sucked, it failed because we threw too much power at it.

Anyway, the car now has a Dart based 331, internally balanced. forged crank, rods, and 2618 (I think thats right) alum alloy nitrous pistons.

it is quoted to handle upwards of 1500 HP @ around 8500 RPM.

Also, i'll give Anderson a plug here. the car also has an AFM N-111 cam from anderson motorsports.

no new numbers on the car as of yet. but, it runs great!!

lol sorry so long, just wanted to give some background on my experience with OEM blocks. they are "strong" but not bulletproof.

skill is da illest

ProDetroit said:
Funanin, what tire/wheel combo do you use at the track bro? Thanks -

Ok, if u are wondering how the hell i ran a 13.6 with a 5.0 almost stock, its because i had a good shifter, aluminum driveshaft, 3:73's, BBK CAI (fenderwell) and a 3/8" manifold spacer on the stock HO manifold. I think that is all i had. I had the chrome pony rims with bridgestone 225/50/R16's on it. I just did a nice burnout and managed to take off like a bat out of hell. I guess it was a good day at the track because i beat an audi S4 (even off the line and he has quattro) I think it all depends on driving skill. :nice:

Funanin said:
Ok, if u are wondering how the hell i ran a 13.6 with a 5.0 almost stock, its because i had a good shifter, aluminum driveshaft, 3:73's, BBK CAI (fenderwell) and a 3/8" manifold spacer on the stock HO manifold. I think that is all i had. I had the chrome pony rims with bridgestone 225/50/R16's on it. I just did a nice burnout and managed to take off like a bat out of hell. I guess it was a good day at the track because i beat an audi S4 (even off the line and he has quattro) I think it all depends on driving skill. :nice:

I bet it had more to it than that...

What were you 60fts? and what was your mph?

5spd GT said:
I bet it had more to it than that...

What were you 60fts? and what was your mph?

I believe my 60 ft was 2.0XX, and i never got over 100 mph in the 1/4 on any run. I dont know why it was so fast, it could have just been conditions of the track, but i do have a 93, which have the lighter pistons, which can help it to rev faster, and when u have 3:73's and a fast revving motor, it gets down the 1/4 pretty quick. Another reason is weight. I have a fiberglass hood and wing, and i also stripped the car of seats, carpet, and stereo. I also had like 1/4 tank of gas with octane booster and the timing cranked as high as it would go without ping.

Hey, every bit helps u know? :nice:

Funanin said:
I believe my 60 ft was 2.0XX, and i never got over 100 mph in the 1/4 on any run. I dont know why it was so fast, it could have just been conditions of the track, but i do have a 93, which have the lighter pistons, which can help it to rev faster, and when u have 3:73's and a fast revving motor, it gets down the 1/4 pretty quick.

Well I have a 93' (before I put the h/c/i) I had 373's, Full exhaust, 65mm MAF and 65mm TB, 5spd w/ shifter, electric fan, and intake spacer :) , with pullies, and a couple other little things and I ran the equivalent of a 13.7 with a 2.08 60ft...so I guess it is possible...

With a 2.oxx 60 ft and not reaching 100mph is pretty hard to get a 13.6 out of the car...is it full weight?

The hyper pistons might provide a 1hp advantage of the previous forged piston models...

5spd GT said:
Well I have a 93' (before I put the h/c/i) I had 373's, Full exhaust, 65mm MAF and 65mm TB, 5spd w/ shifter, electric fan, and intake spacer :) , with pullies, and a couple other little things and I ran the equivalent of a 13.7 with a 2.08 60ft...so I guess it is possible...

With a 2.oxx 60 ft and not reaching 100mph is pretty hard to get a 13.6 out of the car...is it full weight?

The hyper pistons might provide a 1hp advantage of the previous forged piston models...

As far as i know it weighs as much as any other 5.0. Im not a heavy guy, and i also had the spare tire and jack taken out. Basically anything that didnt need to be in the car at the time was taken out. I forgot, i also had full exhaust- offroad H, flowmaster 2.5, and stock shorty headers. I ran a 13.8 the first time i went to the track. And that was before i had the BBK fenderwell or the manifold spacer! I had the stock air box with a K&N, the gears, exhaust, and the shifter, thats it! Then i put the spacer and the CAI in, and dropped .2 down to the 13.6.

Funanin said:
As far as i know it weighs as much as any other 5.0. Im not a heavy guy, and i also had the spare tire and jack taken out. Basically anything that didnt need to be in the car at the time was taken out. I forgot, i also had full exhaust- offroad H, flowmaster 2.5, and stock shorty headers. I ran a 13.8 the first time i went to the track. And that was before i had the BBK fenderwell or the manifold spacer! I had the stock air box with a K&N, the gears, exhaust, and the shifter, thats it! Then i put the spacer and the CAI in, and dropped .2 down to the 13.6.

Lol...how could you "forget" exhaust...

I bet you got the .2 tenths of a gain loss because you got better at driving...the spacer and cai might have helped you with .05 :)