PI Intake Progress

spitfirees20

Nov 17, 2006
Out with the old, in with the new:

image00006oz8.jpg

It's in the car, a 98 gt, and bolted up. I plan on hooking up everything tomorrow, and giving it a test drive. That would be day three of the installation, it's taking a little more time than expected :D Hopefully the top end pull will be worth it.

• Sponsors (?)

Just the intake for now, intake was $80 and parts were $80, so not that bad. I don't want the heads because I plan on supercharging in the future, so the increase in compression would be bad. When winter comes, I'm either putting in the PI cams, or just waiting and putting in blower cams later on. Aside from mods that will increase the performance in general, I need to possibly hold out on some things that would be worse for NA but better for FI in the future, like blower cams.

Well just finished the install, checked everything, started it up and checked for leaks, let it idle for a couple minutes without a/c and then with a/c , checked for leaks again, took it out for a test drive, then went WOT. Returned and checked for leaks again. Difference? Not really in the WOT as far as I can tell. The car seems to be running a little off right now, the idle slows down then picks up, stays in gear a little longer, etc. I have no real experience with OBD II cars, so I'm just assuming it's the car re-learning its parameters? Also, the car seems alot more tame now. I have a MAC o/r h with flowmasters, and now it's not really that loud. I'm not really sure how that is. I'm going to work tonight and I'm not going to go hard on it, hopefully it will relearn it's parameters and return to the way it was beforehand, then I can do some more runs. I'll update in a couple of days.

Well just finished the install, checked everything, started it up and checked for leaks, let it idle for a couple minutes without a/c and then with a/c , checked for leaks again, took it out for a test drive, then went WOT. Returned and checked for leaks again. Difference? Not really in the WOT as far as I can tell. The car seems to be running a little off right now, the idle slows down then picks up, stays in gear a little longer, etc. I have no real experience with OBD II cars, so I'm just assuming it's the car re-learning its parameters? Also, the car seems alot more tame now. I have a MAC o/r h with flowmasters, and now it's not really that loud. I'm not really sure how that is. I'm going to work tonight and I'm not going to go hard on it, hopefully it will relearn it's parameters and return to the way it was beforehand, then I can do some more runs. I'll update in a couple of days.

I felt the same way...got my car back with pi intake....felt the same..no faster...was a lot quieter and idled real low....IMO I would say pi intake only is not worth it...I believe the gains are with pi intake and pi cams combined...but now that its tuned it runs better...

I felt the same way...got my car back with pi intake....felt the same..no faster...was a lot quieter and idled real low....IMO I would say pi intake only is not worth it...I believe the gains are with pi intake and pi cams combined...but now that its tuned it runs better...

I haven't gotten it tuned yet or anything, but when you first did the swap, did it feel like it was a little "off"? My idle seems too low, and sometimes it tends to "buck" while driving I guess I would say, I'm not sure how to describe it. I'm going to let the computer adjust for a couple of days, and if it doesn't correct itself I'll pull the codes and see if anything is off. I've always had a CEL because of my o/r h, but maybe I'm missing something else? I hope not.

Well something is definitely wrong, took the car out for a test drive today for about an hour and it bucks like crazy. Sometimes it feels like it has no power until I lay into it. I double checked all of the vacuum lines and such, and I can't find anything that would really do it. The only thing I could think of is that I broke one bolt off while tightening the plenum, but it broke sort of half in the plenum and manifold so it's still semi there, and the other 4 bolts are holding it down really tight. Maybe a vacuum leak there? Any other place I could have forgotten?

Well something is definitely wrong, took the car out for a test drive today for about an hour and it bucks like crazy. Sometimes it feels like it has no power until I lay into it. I double checked all of the vacuum lines and such, and I can't find anything that would really do it. The only thing I could think of is that I broke one bolt off while tightening the plenum, but it broke sort of half in the plenum and manifold so it's still semi there, and the other 4 bolts are holding it down really tight. Maybe a vacuum leak there? Any other place I could have forgotten?

That broken bolt might be the key that your looking for to solve this mystery. Are you able to reach the area with carb cleaner and spray it around there to see if the idle smooths out? Don't worry, you'll get it - I think if I was you though I would just go the route of getting the broken bolt out and replacing and resnugging/retorquing everything down to the proper specs.

We've all had our troubles when modding - I had coolant go down the plug holes during my PI intake conversion when I was doing it and it took a wet/dry vac and some idle plus driving time to clear out.
Once you get it straightened out, let us know what you the mod worked for you. Amazing to see the varying levels of feedback on how the PI intake mod worked our for them. Anything from feeling just up top to all kinds of power increases. Nothing real consistant.

Check the injector wires and make sure you didn't snag one. Also, if you removed the plug wires make sure you have them in the right firing order and ensure the plug wells are clear.

This has evolved into tech...moved accordingly.