Engine Piston Suggestions

Hey Everyone,
I have a 1990 Notch that I plan to rebuild the 5.0. I will be boring and replacing pistons to make it a 306. What is an acceptable brand/part number for the pistons for a average BUDGET build? This is not going to be a race engine, just a weekend cruiser. Probably a small cam and some head work.

Thanks,

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

You could post up a want add in the classifieds on here and other forums as new pistons are getting pretty expensive. Do you think you need to bore the block or can it just be honed where you can reuse the stock pistons and just re-ring them?

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, see if you could use the original pistons.
For me it would be either all in or all out.
Changing the pistons for a 306 is more like half in half out. The block is the limit, not the pistons.
If i'm changing pistons it's most likely for a 347, maybe a 331.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
For what your intentions are with it, I'd give a nod towards the Summit brand hypereutectic flat tops. They have one with an altered pin height that will put you right at, or darned close, to a zero deck without having to machine the block. I don't recall the part number or price off the top of my head, but I know they are quite reasonable, and more than adequate for your application.

If you are going to spend the money to bore a block, forged pistons are the ONLY piston to use " in my opinion"
Hypereutectic pistons are CAST pistons ........
Seems like Summit had some reasonably priced forged pistons last time I looked but this was before Bidenomics...
My machine shop recommended another brand of forged pistons he liked which I went with...

I purchased an Explorer engine to rebuild... I cannot tell you the mileage but the exterior was very rusty as if it had been wet for a long time...
Inside was super clean... After inspecting it my machine shop told me they could hone the block, polish the crank, use some new rings on the pistons and reuse it if I was not racing it or driving it hard..... Less cylinder wear on Fuel Injected engines was the machine shops comment... So this might be an option for you as you asked for budget advice....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
X2 on the forged slugs, provided they meet your targeted budget. For mild to even semi-hot street, they aren't necessary, but if the price is even close, there's no reason NOT to go forged. Forgot to mention, regardless of piston material, don't skip balancing!

Reactions: 1 user