Planned Cross Country Run - 65 Fastback

So ... I'm about to do something incredibly dumb but I think its going to be a hoot.

100_4352.JPG

I bought this 65 Fastback with my dad way back in like 98. Drove the wheels off it in highschool and whenever I came home during college. I worked most of my summers out in New Mexico on a ranch and had no need for it out there so by 2006'ish, she wasn't running anymore. Well all know what happened in 2008 and like many others, I was out of work. I made do for two years doing temp labor and then joined the military. I spent the next 8 years bouncing around between Charleston, SC, upstate NY, Groton, CT, Hawaii and finally Virginia Beach, VA where I currently am. Didn't have the time to work on it or drag it along all over the country so it sat in my parents back yard in So Cal. Long story short, the car has sat for probably 15 years and now I'm out, have a house with a garage and not moving any time soon.

I looked into shipping companies and well ... 2000-2200 for a non-op car and while it does get the car cross country (So Cal to VA), it costs me 2k and I still get a non-op car. If you're smart, you might know where I'm going here. If you're retarded like me, you DEFINITELY know where I'm going with this. Its time to drive the beast 2700 miles cross country after it hasn't run in 15 years. I've got my brother and a buddy on board for doing some of the repairs before I get in town.

Tires & Rims - I think I have a spare set of rims that fit, so I'll just get rubber put on those and chunk the old rusted Cragar SS's.

Engine - She ran when she was parked. She was wore out from me hotdogging her but she wasnt burning oil. I'm thinking as long as I can get some marvel mystery oil down the cylinders and let it sit, she should turn over. If she turns over then I can have my family do a pressure test on all 8 cylinders. If they check sat, I think I should be in business for a drive cross country. Not going to be trying to race so I'd reckon she should hold up. It has 351W heads and I had them rebuilt back in 99 and had hardened valve seats installed.
Change oil
New belts

Transmission - T-5 5 speed, installed circa 2003, less than 10,000 miles on it.
Change fluids

Rear End - 9" w/ detroit locker. Installed circa 99-2000. Less than 20,000 miles on it
Change fluids.

Fuel System
New fuel tank (eyeballing those 22gal upgrades)
New Fuel Pump (edelbrock/holley)
New rubber lines
Extra inline filters
Will fly back with an edelbrock performer 600cfm on loan from a friend

Brakes - Replacing everything except the hard lines and upgrading to a two pot reservoir
New Rotors
New Calipers
New Pads
New Drums
New Shoes
New Wheel Cylinders
New wheel bearings front and rear

Charging System -
New Alternator (possibly upgrade to a PA performance 95A 3G if I'm going to run an electric fan)
New Starter Solenoid
New Battery

Ignition - After I had my points go out in high school, caught the air filter on fire and blew both of my mufflers out, I upgraded to a pertronix drop in kit. Figuring that should still be good but the rest of the components need to be replaced.
New Cap
New Rotor
New Plugs
New Plug Wires
New Coil

Suspension - Back in 2001 I went through and installed new springs front and rear, swaybars with poly bushings, GT350 A-Arm relocation, new A-arms, underride traction bars and KYB Gas-A-just Shocks. I'm thinking all the components should be good with the exception of the shocks. Figure replace the shocks.
New Shocks - Koni's

Cooling -
Aluminum radiator w/fan - would prefer a cross flow design if hoses are sold that work on a 289
New Hoses
FlowKooler Water Pump
New Thermostat

Heating - I'll die like a man in an accident with no airbags but I'll be damned if I'll die cold and making this run sometime between Christmas and New Years ... its gonna be cold.
New radiator core
New hoses

Trouble I've run into is most of the parts warehouses I used way back when don't seem to exist. Mustangs Plus apparently folded and they always had a fantastic selection of radiators and people that knew what they were talking about with them. California Mustangs I guess got bought out by Classic Industries and their website provides garbage for product fitment and description. Highway Classics was bought out by Cal Mustangs before Cal Mustangs got bought out. I'm cruising the forums to see where folks are buying these days but suggestions are always welcome. I'm trying to stay on the cheap end of things but with items like a radiator, if I'm going to buy a replacement radiator, there's no point in spending $350 on a new 4 core brass repro if I'm going to end up turning around and putting an aluminum one in it when I restomod it and I don't want to risk getting sidelined in BFE Arizona because my old 4 core blew out because I used to fill it with tap water (judge away, I was young and dumb). Same thought with the water pump and fuel pump. I used to drool over the fuel cells Mustangs Plus sold looking to track it from time to time but I'm not sure it makes sense to go full fuel cell vs 22gal upgrade just for a few weekends a year.

Thoughts, opinions, comments? I forget something that might be crucial for a cross country trip? Am I being so dumb I should wear a helmet?

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Its time to drive the beast 2700 miles cross country after it hasn't run in 15 years.
Oh hell yeah! The call of the open road, the bonding of man and machine.
This sounds like fun.
Regular posts/pictures while happening please.
I love my Flow cooler, its a good pump.

How soon?

I'm sure looking forward to it if all the stars align! I'll be sure to get pics of the process and post updates.

Coworker said the same thing about his Flow Cooler. Has one on his 70 Mach I.

Looking for a departure date sometime between Christmas and New Years to maximize the holiday leave period.

Reactions: 1 user
For what its worth, when I bought my first classic mustang(67 coupe) it had not been running in 20 years. After an afternoon of playing with the carb and timing getting it straightened back out, it was up and running and I proceeded to drive the thing for 100k+ miles without issue(aside from an occasional fried solenoid), with several cross-country trips in there. The point being that being down for decades isn't really a deal breaker as long as you get in running again and do some local stress-testing before taking it on a long trip.

1. sounds like an awesome adventure!
2. I wouldn't ditch the Cragars, but I'm a child of the 70s and those bring back my high school days.
3. I would pare down your list quite a bit. Replace all the soft goods, battery, brake pads, basically the essential safety related items, and those, things that could lead, to catastrophic failure. I'd put together a basic tool kit and a few, critical repair parts, but I'd leave things like radiator, major brake overhaul, shocks (those KYBs are so damn stiff new that you probably want them wore out for this trip!) until you have it home and can do a proper job modding what you want. But if you have the time, support, and money to do all of that, it's really what makes you comfortable and able to enjoy the trip. With me, thst much work would take 3 times what I scheduled, and would put me in a rush to get rolling.
4. Map out your route and schedule, and post it here, or on VMF. Line up support crews along the way. Then if you have a breakdown, you have people you can call who know old Mustangs and can come help get you rolling again.

yup, all that new stuff helps. I like the whole DSII system best or swap out the box fora hei 4 pin, but I woulda said "carry spare condenser/points". Now - no. I would say the only 2 things are a shake down cruze of 2 hrs (if not done so yet) as by that time most things will surface (coolant, ignit, charge, breaks, transmis) AND ck WB (well other frnt end stuff too). I wuz in ur shape did a national tour and 1/2 way thru the wheel bearings went. If I could have predicted it I could have avoided 10 daze breakdwn in "The Great Basin" (read: "merican desert" !). Just some small hand tools is all U need. If getting into anything bigger you'll still wish for a garage anyway (tow). Some do some great PPP (pre-plan-prep) & set up such every 5 or 10 hrs along the route w/friends, on-line club members, or other networks. Did it on ol whillys form for a new purchase a guy drove home 1,000 mi of Gulf over on that forum just this Spring Huston to Tamps...

1. sounds like an awesome adventure!
2. I wouldn't ditch the Cragars, but I'm a child of the 70s and those bring back my high school days.
3. I would pare down your list quite a bit. Replace all the soft goods, battery, brake pads, basically the essential safety related items, and those, things that could lead, to catastrophic failure. I'd put together a basic tool kit and a few, critical repair parts, but I'd leave things like radiator, major brake overhaul, shocks (those KYBs are so damn stiff new that you probably want them wore out for this trip!) until you have it home and can do a proper job modding what you want. But if you have the time, support, and money to do all of that, it's really what makes you comfortable and able to enjoy the trip. With me, thst much work would take 3 times what I scheduled, and would put me in a rush to get rolling.
4. Map out your route and schedule, and post it here, or on VMF. Line up support crews along the way. Then if you have a breakdown, you have people you can call who know old Mustangs and can come help get you rolling again.
That's a great idea with the support along the way. I've planned some friends along the way but some are car folk, some are not. Having a good list of folks to at least swing in, grab a bite to eat and if there are major issues, call, would be ideal!

yup, all that new stuff helps. I like the whole DSII system best or swap out the box fora hei 4 pin, but I woulda said "carry spare condenser/points". Now - no. I would say the only 2 things are a shake down cruze of 2 hrs (if not done so yet) as by that time most things will surface (coolant, ignit, charge, breaks, transmis) AND ck WB (well other frnt end stuff too). I wuz in ur shape did a national tour and 1/2 way thru the wheel bearings went. If I could have predicted it I could have avoided 10 daze breakdwn in "The Great Basin" (read: "merican desert" !). Just some small hand tools is all U need. If getting into anything bigger you'll still wish for a garage anyway (tow). Some do some great PPP (pre-plan-prep) & set up such every 5 or 10 hrs along the route w/friends, on-line club members, or other networks. Did it on ol whillys form for a new purchase a guy drove home 1,000 mi of Gulf over on that forum just this Spring Huston to Tamps...
Definitely going to look into posting my route here as the date approaches and I find out whether I've got a snowball's chance or not lol

Progress ... and my mom may be slightly pissed that her plants got ran over. She's more happy the car finally moved after a decade than she is mad though so I call that a win. My brother and our friend were able to get my 67 Imperial moved forward and the 65 pulled up onto the concrete so they can get cracking on the tires and brakes. That's the furthest she's moved in at least 10 years.

Attachments

• 65437602581__BABF7CEF-08BE-4F5A-B88E-FA5953FCA3CE.jpg
    65437602581__BABF7CEF-08BE-4F5A-B88E-FA5953FCA3CE.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 65437657604__42E0818E-B8C4-4AAA-B729-FF0DC40C6163.jpg
    65437657604__42E0818E-B8C4-4AAA-B729-FF0DC40C6163.jpg
    881.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 65437682699__006E762C-D5D0-4E17-9ED4-1294B451A211.jpg
    65437682699__006E762C-D5D0-4E17-9ED4-1294B451A211.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: 2 users
winter is a lill more dangerous (less b.d. where I did), so yeah, get as many of us as U can on that route.
Sounds like fun. Esp w/a shotgun. I did my tour (all the exterior states of this country) solo, unmarried, 20something (between grad'n undergraduate school)...
PLEZ post pic!
U take i40? 64 & 40? not sure what "SoCo" or Va locations are...
I did i10 and 90 in the easterly'n westerly directions (it took 2 yrs so alot offa doze) and 1/101 in the west and everything but i95 in the east).

winter is a lill more dangerous (less b.d. where I did), so yeah, get as many of us as U can on that route.
Sounds like fun. Esp w/a shotgun. I did my tour (all the exterior states of this country) solo, unmarried, 20something (between grad'n undergraduate school)...
PLEZ post pic!
U take i40? 64 & 40? not sure what "SoCo" or Va locations are...
I did i10 and 90 in the easterly'n westerly directions (it took 2 yrs so alot offa doze) and 1/101 in the west and everything but i95 in the east).
I'll be coming out of Los Angeles area and heading to Virginia Beach, VA. I expect I'll be taking Interstate 10 unless the weather is looking super nice, then I might contemplate I-40.

Im not real close to I-10, but not so far that I wouldn't be willing to help if something happened to you in the Destin FL area. I'm guessing you will turn north before you get that far east anyway. Good luck! I'll be following along eating cookies and popcorn with the General!

• Agree