Please Help Trans Swap!!!

Bear007g4

Mar 7, 2016
Hello everyone and how are y'all doing this fine late night forum surfing. To begin with idk a lot about Fords .I just recently bought a 90 model fox body testing the waters a lil lol. I'm a Chevy guy and this is the first stang and only the second ford I have ever owned. My question seems to come up in other forums across the web but I have yet to see a completely straight answer and that is a fox body C6 trans swap. What exactly needs to be done to put it in and make it work. I really want a c6 in it because its what I have already and it's a really good trans. I have a 302 roller engine that I bought from a friend that won it in a ticket raffle its never been fired up and the trans come with the engine. I just really wanna use what I have so any guidance is much appreciated in advance surely one of y'all out there has done this swap and knows exactly what has to be done to make it work. Will it bolt right up to the trans cross member and the enginein its spot as well? I know I will have to buy a yoke and have the drive shaft shortened.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-22-22-47-22.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-22-22-47-22.png
    472.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Sponsors (?)

Seeing that you are a Chevy guy are you referring to a c6 vette transmission or a Ford automatic transmission? The ford c6 to my knowledge is much larger than the t5 or aod and would require modifying the trans tunnel and needs an adjustable cross member to even come close to fitting.

Some late and early ford f100s and f150s came with 302ci and c6 transmissions. I've heard of people swapping them to mustangs. Not sure all of what's involved. The c6 eats about 30 to 50hp...a c4 eats about 25hp. The c6 is heavy and people talk about having to mod the firewall and trans tunnel. I've been looking for a c6 for my 5.0 e150 car puller tow mobile. It is a very strong trans but for a mustang a well built c4 or aod is the way to go. Unless you have serious welding skills on unibody cars the c6 wouldn't be worth it. That c6 trans will sell fast....hell.. a trans shop might take it off your hands for the labor to build that aod. I would.

Some late and early ford f100s and f150s came with 302ci and c6 transmissions. I've heard of people swapping them to mustangs. Not sure all of what's involved. The c6 eats about 30 to 50hp...a c4 eats about 25hp. The c6 is heavy and people talk about having to mod the firewall and trans tunnel. I've been looking for a c6 for my 5.0 e150 car puller tow mobile. It is a very strong trans but for a mustang a well built c4 or aod is the way to go. Unless you have serious welding skills on unibody cars the c6 wouldn't be worth it. That c6 trans will sell fast....hell.. a trans shop might take it off your hands for the labor to build that aod. I would.
I very much appreciate the info. I have a guy wanting to sell me a aod for 250 my question with it is how do you stop it from going into over drive so you can shift it like the 3 speed its not a aode its just a aod. Where you from there bud Imight can help you on the C6 trans for your truck if iI go a different route.

Thanks for the relpies. No im not talking about a corvette. Im talking about the teans for my fox body the one in the picture. I bought the car for 1k just like it is and I bought the engine with the trans and another set of roller rockers lifters and cam. My engine is new inside and out. Im trying to keep the cost ddownin case of a resale. TThat's one reason I wanna use the c6 I have a ratchet shifter for it but would have to buy one for the aod. Themounts on either the C6 or Aod are within a inch of being exactly in the same spot. So Iddon't believe I'll have to weld or move and cross member pieces . The tail shaft is longer for sure on the c6 because it's a truck trans. Mines the integrated bellhousing one for a SBF. I know iI'mgoing to have to take the drive shaft to a machinist to be cut and balanced and get a new yoke. The HP lose I'm not worried about but iI heard worse things about the Aod trans about there 2 input shafts and the amount of pressure on the clutches it keeps works off the throttle and determines when it shifts to OD. The Aod Iwas looking at is a aod the mmechanical one not the aode. I'm just kinda stuck at what to do. I know the ç6 will fit and save me cash to finish the car up. If I buy the Aod I'mlooking at the very least 500 to go that route and every dollar iIspend is eating profit out of my resale. I plan on ffinishing the car and selling it. There is no way I would take my money back right now for it though. What do y'all think. I have 2k in it at this point and Ibbelieve I can get 3500 for it like it is. What's y'all opinion?

I very much appreciate the info. I have a guy wanting to sell me a aod for 250 my question with it is how do you stop it from going into over drive so you can shift it like the 3 speed its not a aode its just a aod. Where you from there bud Imight can help you on the C6 trans for your truck if iI go a different route.
I'm in southern Maryland.

The only way to tell is to attempt it. They make lower engine mounts but they only give you about 1/2 inch. The measurement thats important is how far down from the highest point on the bell housing verses the top of the body of the trans. Gabbing the cross member to work isnt too difficult. The issues are if the trans will actually fit the trans tunnel. With these cars being unibody you don't want to cut the firewall without extensive reinforcement. The c4 may be the way for you to go...no overdrive and stronger than the aod slosh bucket.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a lot of different options for AOD's There are kits to fix the lockup torque converter, manual shift, OD lockout and all sorts of other things. Go look or go Google and you'll find some very good reasons to do the AOD thing instead of a C6. If the 30-50 HP loss quote for a C6 is correct, that would be motive enough to go with the AOD.

TransGo kits.
See http://www.transgo.com/products.php?cat=AOD&homeinclude=catalog&category_id=75&parent_id=75

Baumann kits
http://www.becontrols.com/aod.shtml

Reactions: 1 user