Police Interceptor Chip for 4.6L out of Crown Vic

70stangcoupe

Founding Member
Nov 12, 2001
Winston-Salem, NC
A local guy around here does some work on the cop cars, and says he can get me a "Police Interceptor" computer chip for 50$ (me and him are good buddies) that he swears will give me 50hp. Says it came out of a 4.6L Crown Vic and "should" work fine in my Mustang.

50$ is extremely cheap for 50 horsepower... Think it's too good to be true?

Anybody know anything about this chip or whatever? Should I give him 50 bucks and let him install it, and see what happens?

More info is appreciated. :)

• Sponsors (?)

70stangcoupe said:
A local guy around here does some work on the cop cars, and says he can get me a "Police Interceptor" computer chip for 50$ (me and him are good buddies) that he swears will give me 50hp. Says it came out of a 4.6L Crown Vic and "should" work fine in my Mustang.

50$ is extremely cheap for 50 horsepower... Think it's too good to be true?

Anybody know anything about this chip or whatever? Should I give him 50 bucks and let him install it, and see what happens?

More info is appreciated. :)

Sounds like :bs:

Ever seen track times for a Crown Vic "Police Interceptor"? When you do, your reaction will be something like this :rlaugh:

Also, if there is any special tuning for those cars it is most likely done by flashing the ECU and not a chip.

70stangcoupe said:
Well I mean if I buy it and have him install it, I can just come right back and say "WTF dude I feel no difference", and he'll reinstall the stock chip.

It's only 50 bucks guys, jeez! lmao

No, he'll say that you just can't tell the difference. He'll drive the car and praise it to the heavens saying how great it is.

The manufacturers would never leave 50 hp laying on the table by something as simple as this. If you are so eager to throw your money away, I recommend you go outside and light it on fire. That way you will save the car downtime.

Originally Posted by 70stangcoupe
Well I mean if I buy it and have him install it, I can just come right back and say "WTF dude I feel no difference", and he'll reinstall the stock chip.

It's only 50 bucks guys, jeez! lmao

IF it would give you power it is a cheap mod. I was just trying to say the 50hp is total bs. I don't think there was ever a crown vic made with more hp than a gt has so I dont' see how it's tune could give you more power. IF you want to spend $50 for nothing go ahead I dont' give a rats ass.

I have a set of magnets you can put on your fuel lines that will give you 35+ MPG. You can have them for $90 if you PM me. But if you want a really great deal, I have an electric supercharger that is good for a 40% hp gain. You can have both for $175.

I have the 2002 Crown Vic with the police interceptor package. It's mostly a suspension upgrade with a slightly stronger tune over the standard Crown Vic. The tune though is set to minimize bottom end torque...eliminating tire spin. It's strongest through the mid and top end, but maxes out at 135. You'll see 6-8rwhp TOPS! That is from both the City garage techs who service our Crown Vics, and from the local Ford/Mercury dealership techs.

I've had 3 different Crown Vics over my 8 years...a '91, a '97, and my current 2002. The '97 was HANDS DOWN the fastest/strongest of the three years. It would spin from a solid stomp of the gas and was strong enough to outrun my 2002 from start to finish! We still use the 97's as back-up cars when the main cars break down or need servicing. Basically, your friend is correct in saying you'll pick up some HP...more like 5, than 50. But I'm not sure if the chips are interchangeable. I didn't ask that question.

See if you can borrow one to be sure it's worth buying. If he's a "close friend" he should trust you! Do a couple dyno runs before and after the chip swap and make your decision then.

nickthegenius said:
I have a set of magnets you can put on your fuel lines that will give you 35+ MPG. You can have them for $90 if you PM me. But if you want a really great deal, I have an electric supercharger that is good for a 40% hp gain. You can have both for $175.

i have a jesus sticker that makes you win every race

Like P.T. Barnum was said to have said:

"There's a sucker born every minute"...

Save you hard earned money and tell you mechanic to step away from the exhaust pipe. He's loosing far too many brain cells inhaling the fumes.