Polishing Problems

I got my supplies from the local swap meets, where polishing vendors come in.
Ive heard you can get the sticks of rouge and tripoli at Sears, and maybe even Lowes?
Ask Zach..
Advanced auto, Autozone, ect, sell Aircraft stripper, i think even wall mart might have it.
Dist is pretty easy, since its fiarly smooth already, Brackets will take some sanding, but arent too bad because they are mostly flat. Radiator is really easy, since its all easy to get to.
Check my website for polishing tips/pics!

• Sponsors (?)

I polished up a lot of parts on my Superhawk, and found that for the last stage the very best mirror type finish I could get, which was quite nice, was with Harley Davidson's chrome polish. Them Harley guys might ride old tech, but man they know thier polishing..

Sears, Lowes, Home Depot all sells the compounds but they are really small bars. I ordered my stuff from Caswell http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/index.html?PHPSESSID=21750920163e146e953b19873ba46321 Eastwood also sells the same thing http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=434&itemType=CATEGORY

The tripoi is the brown stuff, white rouge is well... white
buffin2.jpg

I picked up a can of aircraft paint stripper from advanced discount autoparts for about $5. It came in a spray can so I tried it and worked out great. Just spray it on kinda thick, you'll see it start to bubble, then get something like a rubber putty knife to scrape the powdercoating off then rinse with water and repeat where needed. Just watch out for overspray ;)

:rlaugh:

jason, Polishing is pretty hard to get the hang of. Its more like an art than anything. Work on a few small pieces first so you wont mess something big up (intake) Play around with it on some scrap pieces of metal and your good to go. Some people say to get a 2500rpm drill, but mike uses a 1500rpm drill and his stuff comes out just as nice if not better than most others. Good luck and have fun with it... and you know once you start polishing, your going to want to do EVERY part under the hood that you car, its a sickness I tell ya.

exactly what parts are all needed???

Just curious, because i may polish my intak elso. Time doesn't bother me.

I know i can get the tripoli, white rouge and mothers, but exaclty what sand paper and polishing wheels??? I have a few drills, will they work.

well i may just wait on the intake, i should have my eddy performer in a couple of weeks. so i my just do the small stuff first, radiator etc. I have had the fluidyne in the car for 1.5 years, and whe nit went in it was super shiny, now it is almost a dull green color. gross!!!!!

jason

You'll need:

Aircraft Paint Remover (advaced autoparts, autozone, etc)
80, 120, 180, 220, 320, 400 grit sandpaper
At least 2 buffing wheels... 4" is a good side (one for each compound)
Tripoli and White Rouge Compounds
Electric Drill (dont use a cordless)
Adapters for the wheels so they can be used with the drill if they dont come with one allready
Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish to finish it all off

You'll be spending MANY hours sanding so if you can find other things to speed up the process, use them! Whenever you get to like 220 you may want to start wetsanding your intake or else the sandpaper will get clogged up and end up using a lot just to sand it down.

OinkAodeOink, and 1105, what brand compounds are you using? I think the craftsman and Lowes/Home Depot compounds suck because they dodn't do anythign for my aluminum at all.....

I just ordered some triploi and white rouge from eastwood, as i have seen some really goo results using thier stuff, such as Forced347's engine.

I have had decent luck with the kit from Eastwood. Here is an almost finished pic of my Cobra intake. The white rouge really brings out the shine. I'm using a 2500 rpm electric drill.

Here's a few pics.
attachment.php

attachment.php

1105 said:
I'm using the large bard from Caswell. The jumbo bars are about twice the size. And no tripoli is tripoli and WR is WR. That sears crap sucks :notnice:
I used the little jar of tripoli that came with the Dremel, a little bar from HD, and the large one from Eastwood, and they all work the same.

GO to Harborfreight.com...They have the $hit over there too.
RC

We'll see how the eastwood stuf works for me. I'm polishing up my supercharger now, and I want it to come out good. My intake currently looks like 1105's did in the beginning of this post....so I really want that thing to shine too :(

I think most of the tripoli and white rouge is just about the same. I have used stuff from Sears, Lowes, Home Depot and Eastwood and have had the exact same results. Here is a pic of the polished Typhoon that I RE-POLISHED. All I did was hit is with 400, followed by tripoli and white rouge just to smooth the casting down to get rid of the waviness. They come decent out of the box, but they are VERY EASY to clean up.

Tim

intakecomplete1.JPG

intakecomplete2.JPG

More misc parts here.