POR15 Question.....need some help fast...

bishop1911

Apr 11, 2005
I recently bought several cans of the POR15 rust preventative paint along with one can of etch primer and 1 can of chasis black. After going over the instructions a little bit before it was painted, we found out the guy who painted it got the car to metal in most areas, there were probably a few slight surface rust areas, but then used the etch primer first, then painted the POR15 over that. We had initially told him that the POR15 needed to go onto metal directly, but he must have thought that the etch primer needed to be used first. Then entire underside of the car was painted and so is the entire inside and engine compartment. The quesion I have is will this cause a problem or will any issues arise from this? The car was sandblasted and cleaned with metal ready before the etch and POR 15 was used. I am concerned about this since the instructions were not followed to a T. The last thing I want to do is restore a car to show quality and then have rust bubble through a couple years later. The interior had good original primer paint on it so this was just prepped and pained over. Please let me know if this is going to cause any issues as I would like to let the guy know tomorrow before we go any further on work on the car. Thank you.

Jon

• Sponsors (?)

Contact Por15 and ask them. I'm sure it's not recommended as it defeats the whole purpose of Por15. Why someone would go through all that work only to do it wrong is beyond me. :nonono:

Edit: I'm assuming when you say "etch primer" you are not refering to Por15's "metal ready" product.

Platonic Solid said:
Edit: I'm assuming when you say "etch primer" you are not refering to Por15's "metal ready" product.
That is what I understood him to say, if so I think it's a bad thing.

The POR is supposed to go on top of bare-metal, or the rust itself, or the metal-ready...but NOT on top of primer.

As far as "what to do now" you've already made the best suggestion, call them.