Power steering issue. Wheels turn to right when engine started

gregp1962

Nov 14, 2006
I just got the power steering working for the first time in 8 years. It is working great except it seems to turm right way too easy. When I first start it, the whhels turn to the right without me turning them.

I know there is a way to center it. Does anyone know of a good write up on how to do it?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a truck that does that, I was told that the pressure valve had gotten out of whack causing an unbalanced system. I don't know that much about it though, still drives good, so I'm content.

This problem is happening on my 64 1/2, V8 w/ Eaton pump. I know that I have the hoses installed correctly. It just barely turns to the right. It does so even when the car is running and sitting still. I'm sure that the valve needs adjustment. Just need to know how to adjust it.

Remove the aluminum end cap from the valve. You will see a nut mounted on a threaded stud. There shouldn't be any fluid in this area, but there may be grease smeared on the spring.

Tighten down the nut until it is real snug. Don't tighten the hell out of it or you will shear off the pin at the end of the bolt that keeps it from turning. All you want to do is to bottom out the spring, so you will feel it get tight when this happens. Notice how much slop there is in the bolt and that it will turn with the nut back and forth about 1/4 turn without the nut even turning on the threads.

If you find that the nut was already tightened down and bottomed out, then that is probably the problem right there.

Using a marker (like a Sharpie), put a line or dot on the nut and the end of the bolt so you can reference them against each other. What you want to do is back the nut off 1/4 turn. Since there is a lot of slop in the bolt itself, observe the markings on the parts and back the nut off until all the slop is taken out, then make sure the nut backs off the bolt 1/4 turn.

Do not start the engine or turn the car while you have the cap off the valve.

In most cases, this will provide the correct amount of load that the spool valve inside the housing will center itself and both sides of the system will get equal pressure. Reinstall the aluminum cap and try the system out. If it still pulls one way, then the spool is not centering for some reason and you can try adjusting the setup again.

Try adjusting the nut only about 1/8 turn at a time and then test. I don't know which way you may have to adjust the nut, so you will have to experiment with your setup. If changing adjustments do not help, then there is something else wrong with the valve.

Tighten the nut to 10 lb/ft. Then back off 1/4 turn allowing for the movement of the shaft.

It is possible that the spool inside the control valve is stuck. You may have to disassemble the valve and polish the spool with emery cloth or 600 sandpaper. I had a similar problem in my 69 Cougar. There were burrs on the edges of the spool and these were causing the spool to stick in the valve bore.

Thanks for the advice guys. I had the spool out a few weeks ago and it looked good. I think I remember not knowing how tight to tighten that nut and there was alot of play in it. So, I'm thinking that after folllowing your instructions, it will be fine.

When you rebuilt the control valve:

Did the spool slide smoothly in the housing, end to end?

Did you install the spool into the housing in the correct direction?

Did the reaction valve slide smoothly in the housing?

Were both reaction valve springs the same length?

Was the part of the Travel Stop where the spool valve end pushes against it, grooved or worn down?

Is there a way to post or email me a copy of thast pic in the factory shop manual?

Also, the ram is leaking fluid where the rod slides in and out. Is there an easy way to remedy that?