power trax locking dif

• Sponsors (?)

I have the powertrax no-slip, whihc is uspposed to be a revised lok-rite, its ok. If I were to do it over, I go with a real detroit locker. The powertrax clunks/pops when coasting in a straight line at low speeds, and has a somewhat abrupt engagement after making sharp turns.

I was seriously looking into them but got kinda negative feedback from folks that had them, since i was planning to abuse car at the track i went w/ this,
835961_150_full.jpg

found it on ebay, guy had tons off good feedback and i spoke w/ him on the phone.
8" trak-loc 3.80 gears and 67-up ribbed case for stength, he said it would handle up to 500 hp, I'm no where near that yet. No complaints after a few 1000 miles at this point.

I have the Powertrax in a Dana 60... (PSD 1 ton van)
I love the locker aspect of it, however it seems a little fragile IMO.
There are lots of small/thin parts. The guy that installed mine the first time made a little error on seating the collars and they broke instantly.
Not the kind of thing that instills confidence.
After new collars installed correctly, the thing is okay.
Time will tell. Not too many miles yet, the goofball that installed the locker also didn't know how to set up the gear (unlike his statement that he had built 1000s of diffs), so the rear is out, waiting to be set up again.

Also, I would have serious trust issues with someone who claimed they could build a stock 8" chunk to handle 500 hp!
My experience with 8"ers has been FAR less optimistic.
IMO, if an 8" were built perfectly, with good aftermarket parts and the later case, it might be good for 400 fwhp. (roughly 320 rwhp)
Got to remember that you are not only dealing with the weaker carrier, but you only have 28 spline axles.

do you want to drag race, drive on the street, open lap or autocross?

answer depends on what you'll want...

for street, open lap, or autocross look into a Goldtrac or TruTrac. Best diff you can buy.

drag racing - Detroit Locker.

its gonna be most likely all street.
would a 67 pumpkin fit in a 66 housing?
i know that the two are different but im not sure how much.
if so though ill proly buy a full pum. setup i guess

I have the Powertrax lockright in my 8 inch, It clicks when turning but thats normal. It has a pure POSI burnout and thats cool, I hammer it hard and so far no problems, I do need to order some hardened axles before I break one.

Anything other than a clutch-type posi (GM/Mopar/Eaton/etc.) or open is fine for spirited street. A full on locker might be a bit much and the lock-rite is close to being that "brutish". I think for spirited street and light strip the TruTrac is about the right compromise, consider it a posi without the clutches.

Search these forums for discussions on Power Trax, this has been discussed heavilly in the past.

hmm i cant find a trutrac anywhere for an 8in. all i come up with are for 8.8 or 9 :shrug:
detroit locker looks promising. i didnt know this but the site says it still provides limited slip on turns. i thought it was a full lock?

The DL is considered a "full" locker, but I'm guessing you interperet that to mean "NO" slip. If that is the case then you mean a spool, which allows for zero differential action.

The DL is considered a "full" locker, but I'm guessing you interperet that to mean "NO" slip. If that is the case then you mean a spool, which allows for zero differential action.

Yes in a sense it is a full locker but it is also an automatic locker in that "it" determines when it wants to lock and unlock as do many others. They can be a bit of a handful on the street. But they have a long and proud history. There are others out there that are selectable, meaning the driver determines when the locker is engaged or disengaged. Primary benift of the selectables is that when they are turned off they act as an open dif.