Power Window problems... HELP!

Grits

SEE!! I do have a neck!
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
Strange issue with my passenger power window...

Had the top down yesterday, and got to my work when all of a sudden it wouldn't roll up... no sound or anything... Finally after giggling it came right up like normal.

Drove home that evening, and same thing, wont go up. Will not sound like its even trying to roll itself up... nothing. Finally, after an hour, my wife said "Press the driver side and passenger side switch up at the same time" and walla! the window came up!

today, i went out and just wanted to check it, so i let it down alittle (went down) but not up...

Thought maybe a bad connection? or does this sound like the motor/relay? Seems if the motor was bad it wouldnt have rolled itself up last night... The driver side, and rear quarter's operate perfect.. just the pass. door window is the only problem.

I scheduled a appt. at Ford tomarrow morning to look at it, but i know its going to be pricey.. thought id ask here, maybe someone has an idea. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First thing I would check is the bushings inside the motor, most common issue with window motors.

First, go to your local parts store and ask for "Ford window motor bushings". They will come three to a pack, round, yellowish bushings. Really they are just rubberized pills.

Remove the pass door panel, unbolt the window motor. Be SURE to have your hand under the bottom of the window, or have someone put their hands on the rolled up window glass when you remove the motor. You don't want the window crashing down inside the door when you unbolt the motor. It will be three bolts, 8mm I believe...but not 100% sure. The motor is sometimes a tad hard to get out of the regulator once you unbolt it, pull up on the window slightly to help loosen the gear.

Once you removed the motor you will see a screw holding the face on that covers the gear. Remove the screw, remove the face. You will most likely see that those three bushings have become tiny little pieces, floating all around inside the gear housing.

Remove the male gear from the inner gear....you will understand once you see it. Then remove the inner gear ring. CLEAN OUT ALL the tiny pieces, but don't wipe off all the grease inside. Now comes the fun part.....

You will see that the gear ring, where the male gear (to regulator fits) is triangle shaped, and the male gear has three indentations. When you put the two gears together, you will see where the bushings need to go. The easiest way to do it is to place the three bushings inside the inner gear ring in each corner of the triangle. Then gently fit the male gear where it sits. It will NOT simply drop into place, you will need to use a small flat head screwdriver or electrical pin tool to manipulate the tops of the bushings to allow you to force the male gear in place. Once all together, the two gears should be VERY tight. Put everything back together and away you go.

The directions are hard to describe, but once you get the motor apart you will see what I am talking about. One day I might make a picture "how to" for this. Too many people waste money on window motors when all they need is a set of $3 bushings.

Good luck, any questions drop me a line.

Motors reverse polarity to run clockwise or counter clockwise.Your motors OK,the real fix is to remove the switch or both switches,take it apart and use a point file to clean the contacts.

I'm thinking its the switches too. One thing In noticed when messing w/ door panels this weekend is that the passenger side window will not move when the switch is disconnected. So both switches have to be working in the up/down direction for the window to move. If you've got a busted switch or a bad contact, you won't have a complete circuit and your window won't go anywhere.

Brought it to ford dealer this morning.. Just figured they could atleast diagnosis the problem, and if it is the switch, i could fix it myself.

**Update**
Supposedly, it's the drivers side switch. Guy had it working fine, said the switch is bad and needs to be replaced. Service manger said it would be $210 parts and labor to do the switch. Needless to say, i picked up the car... and ordered my switch for $30 and will install it myself.

also said it would cost $570 to replace the rear convertible quarter window motor... I told him id just keep "Helping it up" so to speak...:flag:

thanks guys.

Power Windows

<rant>

Who decided that a "one touch" switch window system was a cool idea ? Are we all that lazy that we can't maintain pressure on a switch ?

I have had nothing but problems with these d__n power windows, almost from day one, and I'm sick and tired of it. I would have been happy with manual windows, thanks very much !

These Mustangs are flawed in this regard - it was almost as if all this was new to the engineers, and no stress testing was done , whatsoever. How about pouring some water over these switches, geniuses ?

Prospective Mustang buyers - beware the switch/regulator/electric window problems - you WILL encounter these , and they are INEXCUSABLE !!

</rant>

Fongool.