powerdyne superchargers?

04fullitgt

I shower with poo
Nov 13, 2006
Crest Hill, Illinois
My GF's dad was just offered a powerdyne supercharger for a really good price. I was wondering if anybody ran these and had any problems or issues with them. The only details I know are that it pushes 9 psi and its basically brand new. Thanks everybody :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

If it's a really good price, then go for it. It's one of the lower-end (performance wise) of the centrifugal superchargers available. Expect about a 30-35% hike in horsepower. It's a nice entry level unit none the less. Early units had issues with internal belt breakage, so be prepared to stock up on those if he's going to be spinning it at 9psi or above. It's self contained, installation is simple, but oil changes should be done on them about every 12,000-miles, separate from your engine oil change.

Otherwise, it's a decent, low maintenance blower. :nice:

They work fine if its cheap. I bought a bd-11a kit for $720 shipped about 2 years ago. Easily the best money Ive spent on the car. Ran it for about a year and it was a blast. Suprised alot of cars with that thing. With a 6" crank pulley and a 2.93(pretty sure) I saw up to 9 psi and it pulled pretty good. I have no clue the power it was making but it was prob around 300 rwhp. So overall I would say they are pretty good for the money!

I believe powerdyne is out of business, and repairs are sometimes hard to get or sometimes impossible.
I know because the original supercharger on Saleen Explorers was a powerdyne/ford motorsport, and guys have had nothing but problems with them, and even a couple have been permantely removed because they couldn't be repaired.
I'd spend my money elsewhere.

hmmmmmmmmm......... now im worried. I dont want him buying a piece of junk. Is there anything specific I should look for on it? I guess he went and checked it out last night, I havent heard anything since. From what I know there wasnt any problems with it, the guy just wanted to go bigger so he is selling the blower and the motor as well.

hey guys, my dad was actually the guy looking into buying the powerdine supercharger and we never really heard anything about the brand but we did some research last night and i guess the belt in it comes off and you have to send it out for repair well the kid that wants to sell it took it apart (not sure why) and he said he just did it to do it and he "lost" the belt but i think the belt blew..

were not gonna buy the supercharger anymore but possibly the motor..

well the kid that wants to sell it took it apart (not sure why) and he said he just did it to do it and he "lost" the belt but i think the belt blew..

Good call, not only is he an incompitent, but he's a liar as well. Nobody takes their blower apart "just because" he broke the belt and probably wasn't willing to pony up the money for another one. Not that this is a really big deal, but the fact that he lied about it tells me you can't trust anything coming out of his mouth.

Pass for sure. :notnice:

Powerdyne is not out of business, as a buddy just bought a newly designed impellar from them for my old PD that I sold him. I had a race rebuild done to it by 928motorsports, and with a 7" crank pulley and 2.75 blower pulley on a stock long block it made 12lbs, of boost at 5500 rpms. Before it was rebuilt by 928 the internal belt broke 2x, then I sent it out for the race rebuild and it never failed me again. My buddy now runs the same blower on on his 331 with AFR 165's & E-cam. He is running an 8" crank and 2.75 blower pulley. On that motor he makes 12lbs at 5500, but has belt slip issues with the 6 rib belt. There is another company the he used for his old PD that had good srvice also. Typically it is the internal belt that fails and you can buy the full kevlar belts for 50 bucks online, and change the belt while the blower is still on the motor if your good. The guy with the 331 made like 450rwhp and close to 500 rwtq at Kauffmans Motorsports. This was done pulling the motor no higher than 5500 rpms.

hey guys, my dad was actually the guy looking into buying the powerdine supercharger and we never really heard anything about the brand but we did some research last night and i guess the belt in it comes off and you have to send it out for repair well the kid that wants to sell it took it apart (not sure why) and he said he just did it to do it and he "lost" the belt but i think the belt blew..

I wouldnt buy the motor either considering he's lying about the blower.

I have a very old BD-10 and have had to replace two belts in it in the last five or six years. Personally I don't think it's that big of a deal. Powerdyne wanted a ridiculous amount of money to rebuild the thing, so I took mine to a local machine shop to pull the bearings. I don't think they charged me more than $40. The top bearing sits right on top of a guide washer for the belt, and the lower bearing is in a blind hole so a regular bearing puller won't work. Taking the supercharger on and off is like a 15 minute job; just remove the serpentine belt and the 8 or so socket heads.

Here's a couple of links to rebuild kit vendors, but you can also find kits on eBay
http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/ceramicrebuildkit.php
http://www.superchargerrebuilds.com/?page_id=23

I bought my rebuild kit from a guy on eBay for about $100. The belt is a proprietary Gates belts so regular HTD belt distributors will not carry the correct size.

BD-10 at 6psi, with Performer intake and heads, and TFS-1 cam. Dynoed at 342 hp and 335 tq at only 5500 rpm. Should be a bit over 350hp at 6k rpm.