Predator Tune Issues?????????????

Silver05GT

May 9, 2005
Ok I have a few issues with my predator tune. My first question is I put it on 91 and modify the tune a bit to extend the rev limiter aswell I increased the idle RPM to 1200 and my dad was saying that if I leave it like that it will reduce the life on my motor because it is requiring more fuel and cant burin it quick enough etc is this true or is there no problems with having the idle set at 1200. Also when you drive the car and run it out a bit there is a pinging type noise at higher rpms so I was just checking to see if you guys new what was up. It just doesnt seem like it has the power it did at higher rpms just checking to see if you guys had any ideas. Or should I have it taken down for a custom tune on a dyno.

Thanks John

• Sponsors (?)

91 Tune

Silver05GT said:
Ok I have a few issues with my predator tune. My first question is I put it on 91 and modify the tune a bit to extend the rev limiter aswell I increased the idle RPM to 1200 and my dad was saying that if I leave it like that it will reduce the life on my motor because it is requiring more fuel and cant burin it quick enough etc is this true or is there no problems with having the idle set at 1200. Also when you drive the car and run it out a bit there is a pinging type noise at higher rpms so I was just checking to see if you guys new what was up. It just doesnt seem like it has the power it did at higher rpms just checking to see if you guys had any ideas. Or should I have it taken down for a custom tune on a dyno.

Thanks John
Do you have a cold air also? I did the Predator 91 tune with the C & L CAI. It made a big difference. I even advanced global timing 1 degree and still had no pinging. Do you have a good batch of gas? Does your tune match the right application for your CAI? Don't understand why you would want to increase idle to 1200 rpm. Mine is about 800 rpm and it does just fine. With the 91 tune and C & L I Dyno'd at 278 hp. A custom tune and 7 Dyno runs on the Dynojet it increased to 287 hp & 302 torque. I would make sure your parts are matched or spend a few bucks with someone who knows what they are doing and make sure it's right. Besides, it's a kick to watch them do the tuning on a Dyno. Hope this helps---John

I do not have a cold air intake yet couldnt afford it. As for the idle it just sounds sweet when your next to a car and you can hear your exhaust just burbling and echoing off there car especially since I have a side exhaust.

Thanks for the help
John

Silver05GT said:
I do not have a cold air intake yet couldnt afford it. As for the idle it just sounds sweet when your next to a car and you can hear your exhaust just burbling and echoing off there car especially since I have a side exhaust.

Thanks for the help
John

Hey John,

Drop the Idle RPM back to factory spec. I agree with your pop on this one and I agree with John P. on his advice also. Take it to a shop and have them give you a hand. The new car is a little too exspensive to make a detrimental error to it.

Good Luck

You can also check with DiabloSport on their website http://www.diablosport.com/techsupport.php

Jennifer

You may have a couple of things to address.

First of all raising the idle speed, idle can not really make much of a difference in the engine life, I will double check with a tuner, and I see no point in raising the idle and no up side for sure.

If the vehicle is pinging at high RPM, you need to make sure you’re using good quality fuel, I recommend premium grade Amoco/BP, Mobil or Sunoco brands. I have been involved in pump fuel testing for off-shore boat racing, and these fuels test much better then others, its not just octane but the way fuels are refined that make fuel more detonation sensitive.

Also the type of exhaust you’re running can make the vehicle more sensitive. You’re using side exhaust, some systems can be restrictive. I have not seen side exhaust on the 05 GT yet, but I worked at Steeda for five years and am a Mustang enthusiast, so I am familiar with exhaust systems in general. If the system has to make the 180 degree turn to make the transition to side exit tailpipes, it bottles up heat, and that causes detonation.

Basically, make sure you have the best fuel you can find. Your exhaust is what it is.

The DiabloSport flash programmer gives you all the freedom to make needed tune changes, so make adjustments to global timing if need be, remove 1-2 degrees of timing to see if this eliminates the detonation. Remember if the vehicle if detonating, the timing change, to eliminate detonation, could increase power. When your detonating it kills power, a proper calibration based on fuel, atmospheric conditions, altitude, etc. will make for a stronger running engine, even with less timing.

Bottom line; do not push your vehicle if it’s detonating. This can cause damage and is a risk you do not want to take. If the car is pinging, take your foot out of it.

There is nothing better then a dyno tune, with the modifications you have it’s not a necessity, but AF live on the dyno is always an advantage. All vehicles and conditions can be different and a dyno will allow for fine tuning to your specific situation.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
DiabloSport Sales Manager
[email protected]

Alright well I retuned it last night and lowered the idle rpm slightly but not too much because I like the idle rumble and i dont feel that it will harm my engine except for giving me some lower gas mileage. As for the pinging its gone and i think its just because I reset the settings. Also as for my exhaust it makes a 75 degree angle from the back of the muffler to the exit so its not bad at all it doesnt make a 180 or anything so I dont feel my side exhaust is generating to much heat I would think it actually gets rid of more heat since its shorter and dumps out the side. Anyways thanks everyone for the help. After I get my K&N air intake Ill get it dynoed and get it all setup right.

Thanks John

OK, i went to radio shack and got the power supply, serial cable, an adapter to go from serial to USB ( cost me $75 [:mad:] )
So now i can hook it to my PC. i went to diablosports site and download what i thought i needed to view the stuff from the predator onto my PC. when i open it up it says comsetup failed? and nothing works right and i cannot upload a tune onto my PC. WHAT THE HEK DO I DO!?!?!?!!?!?! can someoen give me a link to what i need to do? PLEASE! any help at all! THANKS A LOT!

bobbys9350 said:
OK, i went to radio shack and got the power supply, serial cable, an adapter to go from serial to USB ( cost me $75 [:mad:] )
So now i can hook it to my PC. i went to diablosports site and download what i thought i needed to view the stuff from the predator onto my PC. when i open it up it says comsetup failed? and nothing works right and i cannot upload a tune onto my PC. WHAT THE HEK DO I DO!?!?!?!!?!?! can someoen give me a link to what i need to do? PLEASE! any help at all! THANKS A LOT!

Bobby,

See my response in your original thread.

Jennifer

Please call the DiabloSport technical service department and ask for Cole Stevens (561)908-0040. He can walk you through the process of downloading the needed software and calibrations onto your PC and flash programmer.

For those interested, DiabloSport offers the PC interface kit #U7777, already assembled. It does not come with the USB/Serial interface for laptops.

Thanks,
Nick Spinelli
DiabloSport Sales Manager
[email protected]