(Probably stupid) Gears Question

criticman

Sep 7, 2003
Rome, GA
Alright, this may be stupid, but I am willing to accept that if it is... :shrug:

I bought 3.55's. I have nowhere near the setup at my college housing to install them myself. If I take them to a shop to get installed, will they have all of the necessary parts? Or do I need to purchase one of the $75-125 installation kits online and take that with me to the shop?

• Sponsors (?)

Any shop qualified to do the install will have the parts or can obtain them easy enough. Usualy most shops would like that you buy some or all of the parts from them anyway. But that's not a stupid question.

I bought the install kit, crush sleeve and gears. I saved some beans. My install of 3.73's cost $150 and they even through in the fluid and friction modifier.

I got my install kit without bearings from Randys ring and pinion for like $50 bucks shipped.

Any shop worth their $$$ will have shims on hand or they will know where to get them. If these are FMS gears, they are so easy to install, you could probably just toss them in, torque the pinion nut and they will work. I installed some 3.73's myself reusing existing shims and just torqued the pinion nut down till I felt a bit of drag, took it for a drive, heard some noise, got back down there, 1/2 turn, still a little noise, one more 1/4 turn, silent. One and a half years later, I replace them with 4.56's professionally installed for almost $300 and my 3.73's didnt have any wear on them whatsoever. The shop basically gave me back the install shim kit that came with the gears since they had shims and such just sitting around. Ask the shop first before you spend the $$$