problem during the 5 speed swap. PLEASE HELP! vibration problem

problem during the 5 speed swap. PLEASE HELP! vibration problem
So i got this crazy idea to do a 5spd swap.

I finally found a good deal on mustang classifieds for a guy who had all the parts (so he said) to do the swap but they were out of a burned car but the tranny was rebuilt and in great condition from what he said.

I then called my friend who owns a local shop and he said hed charge me way cheap on the instal since im a friend

I got all the parts and brough them down (minus the 96 5 speed computer)

I go to pick it up today right when they were barely finished and as we test drive the car its bogging down when its floored and had rough idle (after some diagnonses we came to the conclusion it was a bad MAF)

Anyways by this time im like wtf my car runs like ****.

Also when we were shifting hard into 2nd and 3rd it would sometimes not go in and make weird noise. (supposedly this is normal for a t45)

So i get ready to leave and head out. I hit 45mph and get a bad vibration in the car. I then call him and after driving the car 100x and rotating the driveshaft we came to the conclusion i needed new U joints and a balanced driveshaft.

Does this sound common? Where did i go wrong? And is this something that ill be able to take to another shop tommorow to get fixed.

I also have 3;73's and he recomended an aluminum drive shaft but i dont have the money right now and just want the vibration gone!

Also we used the same stock driveshaft but put a different yoke on it so it would fit right.

Please give me some hope here.

Thanks!!!

-Aaron

Keep in mind the car has 147k miles on it and has never had new u joints or a driveshaft.

We also rotated and lined up the driveshaft perfectly but it did no good.

The vibration was a constant whether the car was in neutral or in gear at 40mph.

• Sponsors (?)

Did your friend put a pilot bearing on the input shaft on the trany, if not that will do it? I would go ahead and change the u joints anyways it maybe a proplem to.
When was the last time your tires were balanced? check for right tire pressure.

Mustang180 said:
Did your friend put a pilot bearing on the input shaft on the trany, if not that will do it? I would go ahead and change the u joints anyways it maybe a proplem to.
When was the last time your tires were balanced? check for right tire pressure.

Why did you bring up a thread that is half a year old??