Problem with AOD and quick shift into 3rd

69Stang69

Oct 11, 2004
I have a 69 Stang and just picked up a four speed AOD transmission mated with a B and M Quick Silver shift kit. When I am in "manual" shift mode, first gear is great, but then I hit second gear and it revs in second for a bit and then slips automatically into third. Fourth gear (Drive) is normal. The problem isn't with the shift kit as it is a second indicator cover plate that has Gears 1, 2, 3 and D.

My mechanic tells me that a "rooster comb" with all four notches for an AOD does not exist. The rooster comb I have apparently has three notches and that's the reason for the quick shift.

Can someone give me the scoop? Can this be true? Any suggestons.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

69Stang69 said:
I have a 69 Stang and just picked up a four speed AOD transmission mated with a B and M Quick Silver shift kit. When I am in "manual" shift mode, first gear is great, but then I hit second gear and it revs in second for a bit and then slips automatically into third. Fourth gear (Drive) is normal. The problem isn't with the shift kit as it is a second indicator cover plate that has Gears 1, 2, 3 and D.

My mechanic tells me that a "rooster comb" with all four notches for an AOD does not exist. The rooster comb I have apparently has three notches and that's the reason for the quick shift.

Can someone give me the scoop? Can this be true? Any suggestons.

Thanks.
i don't have your answer, but i can tell you this question will catch more attention in the tech section, because it is a tech question.

What he sad about it needing to be in tech.

As for your tranny, the AOD's don't have the normal 1-2-3 shift pattern. They have 1-D-OD. The way to get it to hold second is to put it in 1st and when you want, push the shifter into drive and once second engages, pull the shifter back into 1st. And when it's time for third, just slide the shifter into drive.

This procedure isn't exactly easy on the tranny, but it's how a lot of people manually shift their AOD's. If you're going to race quite a bit I would recomend getting a valve body from Lentech. With that valvebody overdrive is activated by a switch and you can shift 1-2-3 manaully.