Problem with filling up tank

BlackGT05

May 27, 2005
Whenever I fill my car with gas it takes me a very long time. The pump keeps shutting off if I try to put gas in at any kind of speed. Gas only goes in if I pull the handle to just barely turn on the pump. I have tried several different gas stations. Also, only the short nozzles will go in the car, if the nozzle is longer like at most Wawa's it gets stuck halfway in. Does anyone else have this problem when getting gas? I'm thinking the reason for the slow gas input is caused by a sharp angle to the tank. any thoughts

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, there is a TSB. A workaround I use (after reading that some of the folks who got their tanks replaced had other problems in addition to continued fueling issues) is to turn the pump nozzle upside down when filling the tank. I can fill at full speed until she's full - and the pump will still shut itself off when it gets there.

There is a vent line gas tank vent line that is directly beneath the spare tire well. It runs forward and up above the axle then turns downward (to prevent water getting in). I've found mine leaning against the exhaust pipe and it was melted closed-creating a vacuum.

On my '03 I have to hold it in or sometimes it pops out (more like flies out). It did it twice, once I thought it put a small nick in the clear, but it was only a little gas drip on the side. Be careful and pump it yourself.