Problems with my Differential

frankstang

Mar 1, 2004
I had an accident last weenkend and i broke the differential, i can get i 2004 Mustang GT but i am not sure if it'll fit on it, because the 04 differential it's a 8.8 and the regular V6 use a 7.5, i was just wondering.

1. if the 2004 GT Differential can be used is a 1995 V6 ?
2. what is the difference between a 8.8 and a 7.5 differential ?
3. if it fit, what differential is better to Run Faster, 8.8 or 7.5 ?
4. what other MOD i will have to add. ?

Thank You.

• Sponsors (?)

the 8.8 will work......but it requires some other stuff.....I'd jump on it

I myself am shopping for an IRS from a Cobra for some corner carving. A straight axle is much better for straight line acceleration (drag strip).

Did you just break the internal differential, or the whole pumpkin shell?

Either way, if the diff is wrecked, your gears could be messed up as well. To do from an open diif to a T-Lok or posi diff would be no less than $190, plus gears - around $180, plus the insall kit, another $80 or so, without scouring the net for deals. Then figure no less than $200 for install, and that's with looking everywhere for a reputable dealer.

All 7.5" and 8.8" rear ends all have specific parts for their size. To my knowledge you can't interchange parts, including the axles. Keep in mind that you can go up to about 400HP on the 7.5" rear end, and a lot more on the 8.8". So if you plan to up the HP on your Mustang, you have to figure what's best for YOUR comfort level.

8.8" rear ends can be had for as little as $200, but they need to be rebuilt (diff, gears, install kit, axle seals). Or you could look at http://www.mustangsalvageparts.com/... you get the quad shocks as well. My $.02.