Project 1973 Super Beetle Not 56k Friendly

95Vert383AOD

15 Year Member
Jun 10, 2008
New Bedford, MA
Ok so for years ive wanted to get my hands on my fathers old 1973 VW Bug. It has been parked in the garage since About 1985/86. My father is a super pack rat. So finally at age 63 he lets me clean the garage :nice: I found everything from Dead Cats/ Birds to 1986 Olympic Coke cans. Slowly but surely my father kept adding junk until the garage was so packed that all it was good for was rolling my Cherry picker in.

My father also ran a cleaning business for around 30 or more years. So theres industrial sized floor machines and Propane buffers etc in there. Also around 30 or so 5 Gal Empty Stripper/Wax Cand.....Sinks, Carpets, Old steel bed, A spare Vee Dubb engine, Old porch railing, Crown moldings for the inside of the house, Lots and lots of cat S#&$.

But enough of that. I figure i would clean the garage because the floor in there is perfect for working on cars. Slight pitch and the concrete is smooth as hell (no cracks) This is on a house/ garage built in 1921. It just needs roof work and doors.

Well heres some pics of the Car....all i did was brushed the Cat crap and dust off.

About the ENGINE. I asked my father why the engine was changed on a car that was only 10 years old. Seems that my dad and his bro were kinda Volkswagen fanatics (prob. because my father was stationed in Germany in the service) ...ANYWAYS They put a super beetle engine in there. Not exactly a Paul Newman swap but its cool. Actually im not sure if its not an actual super beetle because the rear has cut outs for 2 tail pipes.

I by no means am giving up v8 Ford fun...but i wouldn't mind working some magic on this car. Not much rust or rot...its mostly surface. This car has only seen the streets for 10 years. The garage abused it more than the 10 years of service.

I plan on restoring it and giving it back to my dad seeing as he likes VW's
So heres the Crap load of pics.
:D
PICT0958.jpg

PICT0959.jpg

PICT0960.jpg

PICT0961.jpg

PICT0962.jpg

PICT0963.jpg

PICT0964.jpg

PICT0965.jpg

PICT0966.jpg

PICT0967.jpg

PICT0968.jpg

PICT0969.jpg

PICT0970.jpg

PICT0971.jpg

PICT0972.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Quick! Everyone! Buy some stock in JC Whitney! Something tells me they are about to receive a few rather large orders for parts! (Of course, you can BUILD a complete Beetle from JCW parts for what it would cost to HCI a Mustang.)

Cool find! You gonna have him help you restore it?

My father isn't very big on cars...but ill have him around...you know a father son project we never had. BTW the Car has about 37,000 miles on it. Like i said...car hasn't left the garage since around 1985. My dad drove it in there an parked it. He said him and his brother put the motor in. Are parts really that cheap from JC Whitney for the bug??? it has alot of surface rust on the outside ....Especially on the wheel fenders. I wonder if they sell replacement chrome or if i should get what i have re-chromed. Ill be pulling the motor too......at the very least its getting rebuilt and painted.

Like i said this is for my dad...i think sometime when he first got married he wanted to make this car into something. Maybe theres a H/C/I kit for the motor. Unless he says he wants something fast ill go easy on radical engine mods.

My husband is very into old Beetles. He's the type that can tell you the year without looking at by the way it sounds. Esp. if it's a super Beetle, since he's had a few. And actually, he's got a 64(not sure if the parts are compatitble-sp- or not) that is just sitting to rot away. Engine was rebuilt 10 years ago, has about 1500miles on the new engine. Been sitting since we met-10yrs ago, although I loved the Beetle, Mustangs were always my thing!
You want better than Super Beetle engine-Porsche engines are completely swapable.
VW fanatics are just as big as Mustang ones!
Any quesions you might have, he might be able to answer, just ask.

OurBlue95GT

Is the Porsche swap as straight forward as a 302 to 351 swap??? You gotta speak to me in FORD....I'm not fluent in german technology.

Whats funny is that the engine feels lighter than my AOD transmission i have sitting in the garage. Light lil engines those bugs have. The bug also has 2 exhaust openings on the lower fender that are factory. Did they all get that or is that a Super Beetle option? Ive seen Bugs with 1 tail pipe.

I also believe that working on other vehicles helps boost my mechanical understanding. Thats why i help my friend restore his 1966 Buick Catalina/ 68 Nova/ and 70 Chevelle.

You can never know too much!!!

OurBlue95GT

Is the Porsche swap as straight forward as a 302 to 351 swap??? You gotta speak to me in FORD....I'm not fluent in german technology.

Whats funny is that the engine feels lighter than my AOD transmission i have sitting in the garage. Light lil engines those bugs have. The bug also has 2 exhaust openings on the lower fender that are factory. Did they all get that or is that a Super Beetle option? Ive seen Bugs with 1 tail pipe.

I also believe that working on other vehicles helps boost my mechanical understanding. Thats why i help my friend restore his 1966 Buick Catalina/ 68 Nova/ and 70 Chevelle.

You can never know too much!!!

Yes to the Porsche engine, they just blot in. Possibily a few very minor mods you'll have to do. He said though, that they are VERY VERY hard to find.
He said that Super Beetles come with two. But most every Beetle has two pipes, just not dual exhust. He said the Super Beetle is comparable to the GT and reg Beetle to the V6 stang.